1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

save programs?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by buzfaz, Mar 8, 2010.

1. buzfaz

buzfaz New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    My R15- 500 is acting up and I have many recorded shows. Is there any way I can save them to my computer or external HD?

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    This is what I posted in the other thread you posted in:

Unfortunately, you are going to pretty much be out of luck. External harddrives cannot be used with the R15 (not that it would matter as recordings are only viewable on the DVR that recorded them). As for recording on your PC, you would need to have a TV Tuner card and output from the DVR directly to the PC or from the TV itself and then record what you want as you played it back on the screen.

BTW, :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

- Merg

3. buzfaz

buzfaz New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    the dvr has a usb connection. Can i go usb to usb on my computer or did you mean only record with wireless to pc when a new show is playing? I'm confused.

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I think he meant you are going to basically use your computer like a VCR by hooking your R15 to a tv tuner card in your computer.

I don't think the USB port does anything on the R15.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    USB port won't help you. The only way to copy those DVR shows is to record them to a VCR/DVD Recorder, or your PC using audio/video capture hardware & software.

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. That's what I meant.

- Merg

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    It does, but nothing that will help with this issue. The USB port will support a USB to RS232 adapter to permit serial data control of the DVR/receiver functions (such as from a high end home control/automation system).