1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saved $30/month thanks to Verizon

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by leadout_kv, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 7, 2007 #1 of 13
    leadout_kv

leadout_kv Mentor

Nov 4, 2006
    I just saved ~$30/month on my DirecTV bill thanks to Verizon FIOS TV. How? FIOS TV is being offered in my area now so I called Verizon and asked them what I would be charged if I told them exactly what I had from DirecTV. Then, I called DirecTV and told them that Verizon was charging a certain amount to sign me up as a new customer. DirecTV's customer retention department was glad to reduce my monthly bill to match Verizon's offer and to keep me as a long time customer.

2. May 7, 2007 #2 of 13
    riesjj

riesjj New Member

Mar 20, 2007
    ATT/SBC will be offering thier IPTV solution in my area soon. I will have to try that same tatic with DTV. Thanks for the info.

3. May 8, 2007 #3 of 13
    Blackz06

Blackz06 AllStar

Mar 5, 2007
    If you have any Verizon service you can always bundle your bill Verizon/D* and save $20 a month for a year.

4. May 8, 2007 #4 of 13
    gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Might be hard, since my understanding is that SBC only has the bandwidth for ONE HD channel per house at a time. Remotely switched video over copper.

5. May 8, 2007 #5 of 13
    Drewg5

Drewg5 Icon

Dec 15, 2006
    St. Louis
    They also have Dishnetwork in there pocket... Hence the HomePortal its IPTV & E* in one nice little box.. If I'm not mistaken.

6. May 9, 2007 #6 of 13
    Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Unfortunately, you are mistaken. The HomeZone box is Dish Network combined with the ability to download movies online from Akimbo as VOD. at&t's IPTV service (U-Verse) and E* are totally separate services.

7. May 9, 2007 #7 of 13
    tenmidgets

tenmidgets Mentor

Apr 7, 2007
    How would I do that? I have Verizon & D* but I don't understand what would be the impetus for them to reduce my monthly bill by $20 for a year? Can you elaborate?

8. May 9, 2007 #8 of 13
    JVM

JVM Legend

Feb 21, 2007
    I think he's talking about having your DTV bill on your Verizon account and a Verizon Freedom package. Call Verizon and ask about it.

9. May 9, 2007 #9 of 13
    SG24

SG24 AllStar

Jul 12, 2006
    And let us know if that works cuz I've tried a couple times and got the "for new customers only" bullstuff.

10. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    yeah i tried that too, and both directv and verizon told me '' new customers only''.

11. ericpd

ericpd Mentor

Apr 25, 2007
    That's very much true, however, there's an added incentive to do it thru Verizon and NOT thru DirecTV. Verizon is now adding to their 'Tripple Play Freedom' package (land-line phone, 1.5 DSL, & the $49.00 TV package for $99.99) the ability to switch to FIOS when it becomes available in your area WITHOUT DirecTV pounding you with a ETF! I just signed up for it and was installed 05/05! It's not something they're advertising,... I had to ask to make certain it was real. It is! Now that ONLY covers switching from D* to FIOS if you're already a Triple Play subscribre!

Basically, they're just allowing Triple Play subs already using FIOS for phone & DSL, the ability to update the TV portion of their package from sat to FIOS without a ETF hit!

12. NYHeel

NYHeel Godfather

Aug 21, 2006
    You can't possibly have FIOS and DSL at the same time. You can't have DSL over the fiber optic line. Perhaps you mean that you have the FIOS internet or maybe you don't have FIOS at all.

13. ericpd

ericpd Mentor

Apr 25, 2007
    You're right,... my mistake. I'm so used to saying DSL, I'm starting to use it generically when referring to high-speed internet connection. Sorta like expecting a Xerox copy from a Minolta! Sorry.

At the moment, I still have DSL and copper land-line phones. FIOS is to launch in my area in July, however, the first launch will be FIOS phone and internet service ONLY. We're suppose to have FIOS TV by year's end. But at any rate,... I'm suppose to be able to migrate to FIOS without any penalty from DirecTV, even if the launch is BEFORE the end of my current DirecTV contract. That was the point of the post. Sorry again for referring to FIOS internet as DSL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.