1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

saving Recorded Shows From OLD R15 to NEW R15

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Sirrah, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sirrah

Sirrah New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    My R15-100 died (no response from the front of the receiver but fan was working and had a red light in the digital audio port in the back) and I was sent a refurbished R15-500. My original thought was to switch the hard drives in the two receivers, but 1 is a SATA and the other is an EIDE. I have several complete (and unwatched because of work schedule) series saved on my old receiver that I would hate to lose. How can I move the programs from my old to my new?

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You cannot.

Even if you had been able to swap drives, no receiver can play the content recorded on another receiver.

3. Sirrah

Sirrah New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Why not? Same network (DirecTV), same connections, same format, etc. So why can't they be viewed on another receiver?

So what can I do to get the shows recored so that I can watch them?

4. dbmaven

dbmaven Icon

May 29, 2004
    When a D* DVR is fired up for the first time, it "formats" the hard drive. This can also happen on occasion if it finds hard drive errors that are unrecoverable - when you least expect it. Part of that format appears to be a "tag" or encryption key that effectively marries that drive to that receiver.

If the 'old' R15 is truly dead, then your content is buried and cannot be retrieved.

5. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Encryption.
    What part of "you cannot" are you not able to come to terms with?

6. Sirrah

Sirrah New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    The part where just because someone says "you cannot" I am supposed to accept it with no questions asked. What part of "inquisitive mind" and "human curiosity" are you having difficulty grasping?

Thanks for the explanation dbmaven. That's all I was wanting.

7. dbmaven

dbmaven Icon

May 29, 2004
    You're welcome. I always try to give a bit of an explanation - providing a few facts (or at least my understanding of how things work) seems to work better than just "Yes" or "No". We're all curious and want to know the "why"...

Sorry to hear you lost so much recorded stuff. :(

8. Sirrah

Sirrah New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    I've lost about 80 - 85 hours worth of shows (several complete anime series, The Unit", "MI-5" , track meets and football games. Just thinking about it has me wanting to cry. :nono2: :nono2: :nono2: :new_cussi :new_cussi :new_cussi

9. personman

personman Legend

Apr 24, 2007
    Trust me, the MI5 that your used to is nothing like the real show.

The version that BBCA airs is edited for content. They shave it down from 59 mins no commercials to around 41-43.

Always remember that a DVR is not meant to be a permanent medium for content.

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Knowing why something won't work won't restore your lost recordings; especially when that failure is by design.

It is important to note that dbmaven's answer is not correct. The correct answer cannot be shared because it may be construed as an effort to subvert the copy protection built into your receiver. I've been reprimanded here at DBSTalk for offering the detailed answer.

The neat thing about modern TV is that all that was old will be new again and except for live newscasts, it is almost likely that they will be re-run at some point.

11. qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    No, but asking for details can help you judge whether the poster knows what he/shes talking about.

12. personman

personman Legend

Apr 24, 2007
    The shows are encrypted using a key that only that receiver has. If you know why you can't get the shows back, look into encryption.

13. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    I know that it will not bring back your past recordings, but with the HR20 you can get an external drive. So, in that case you could be protected if this were to happen. My R15s are in bedrooms that I don't watch TV on, so I haven't really paid a lot of attention to them, but I don't think you can use this type of external storage with the R15??

14. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    That's won't work for the same reasons that swaping the internal drive won't work. Programs on an external drive hooked up to an HR20 are not watchable if the drive is moved to a different HR20.

15. dbmaven

dbmaven Icon

May 29, 2004
    If you took my response to be "technical" in nature - then it was misconstrued. I don't profess to know the specific details of the encryption mechanism. However, from an "end-user" perspective, my response was essentially correct - stuff on the drive is encrypted and tied to a specific receiver, and can't be moved among receivers - regardless of whether you're discussing the internal or external drive.

Instead of being "harsh" with responses, you could have said the same thing - maybe even better than I did.

It's perfectly reasonable for people to ask for more than a "no, you can't do that" response - they want to know some basics of the reasoning behind the response.

16. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    Oh, that makes sense. I didn't know that the encryption would be the same for an external drive, but that does make sense.......:)

17. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I feel your pain. I used to do IT Desktop support (before I retired) and it was almost like telling a person that a loved one had died when their HDD died in their computer and I had to explain that their data was gone.

HOWEVER, I always reminded them that they should have backed up their data because it is not a question of IF a hard drive is going to die but WHEN. And, of course, many computers have tape backup drives and so does your DVR. It's called a VCR!!! ;)

18. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You must have missed the part where I made it clear that I was given a reprimand for giving the correct reason that the content could not be transferred. I'm not going to risk getting suspended to elaborate on a question that has a simple and unconditional answer.

19. dbmaven

dbmaven Icon

May 29, 2004
    Didn't miss anything - I read the whole thread before responding.
    You're not missing anything either - you just don't want to see that a straight "NO" is going to automatically elicit a "WHY".

Here's a suggestion for the next time this comes up:
    "I can't post the technical details, but it involves encryption that ties the recording/drive to the receiver it was made on".

Certainly not technical enough to get removed/banned - and more forthcoming than "NO".

But to each his own.

Cheers

20. Sirrah

Sirrah New Member

Oct 20, 2007

I knew it was an edited version that is aired on BBCA, and I'm getting the entire series on dvd, but for now I wanted to be able to watch all of the episodes in order so that I could fill in the gaps. But the big dissapointment to me is the loss of all of the sports events (in particular, the track meets) I was saving. When I travel with the kids I coach, I like to show track meets to get them motivated to perform and to remind them of why we are travelling in the 1st place. I was going to burn them to a dvd when I got a dvd recorder but...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.