1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

SCANDAL on ABC

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by mreposter, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Apr 8, 2012 #1 of 15
    mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Anybody watch the first episode?

I watched it this morning and would probably give it a B- or C+. It reminded me of a dumbed-down version of Damages (the Glenn Close series.)

The cast is mostly good though Katie Lowes as the new team member Quinn is either mis-cast or poorly written. She's supposed to represent the audience, being thrown into this hyper, animalistic world of politics and the law, but she's a bit whiney and unsympathetic. Tony Goldwyn also is a bit too predictable, playing his usual sleazy character.

The show has an overt political point a view that may turn off some viewers. Shows and characters can express these viewpoints, and since this show is set the world of Washington D.C., that's to be expected. But a show can benefit from balance and nuance and give the various sides a chance to express themselves. This first episode had none of that, and through the words of one character stated quite clearly where it stood.

From phrelin's ratings post, it looks like this show won't make it past it's initial order of 6 episodes.

2. Apr 8, 2012 #2 of 15
    Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I watched, but didn't bother to analize it. I liked the premise, but don't know if it will keep my attention the whole season. First impressions, however, were good.

I never watched Damages.

3. Apr 8, 2012 #3 of 15
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I liked the fast moving intensity of the show, a style pioneered in "West Wing." Kerry Washington as Olivia Pope is solid and they've written a strong backstory.

In terms of the shows ability to attract viewers, they will get a break next Thursday because CBS is running reruns and not even a rerun of "The Mentalist." So it's only new episode competition is NBC's "Awake." If "Scandal's" ratings decline then, the show is in danger.

4. Apr 9, 2012 #4 of 15
    LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    I recorded the show, planning to watch it sometime today....

5. Apr 9, 2012 #5 of 15
    sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I really enjoyed it.

6. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Normally, I'll give a new show at least one viewing but this one didn't appeal to me at all....especially the star with her scowl in all the previews/promos.

7. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    Watched the show, not 2 bad, and she did smile a few times...LOL.

8. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Just watched the second episode and we're liking the show.

But against a rerun of "The Mentalist" and the ratings dud "Awake" the show got the same ratings it did in its premier week. Normally that would be good, but the premier ratings weren't great.

I hate seeing new shows at 10:00 on broadcast networks introduced in April or later. I know the network is looking for a big ratings winner.

9. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Yeah, I enjoyed the second episode as well. The older lady client was fun. But I wonder if the rather frenetic pace of the show is turning off the audience.

10. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Three and a half years later, it's the top show on ABC, and one of the best three shows on TV. The "kidnap" arc from February was some of the best TV we will ever see.

11. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Yeah, I was hooked on this show for a while. It started to lose me as the plots got increasingly preposterous. When a certain someone was discovered to NOT be dead but in a prison cell for, what, 20 years and all the circumstances around who her jailer was, etc. - well, that's when I said "Ok, this is too ridiculous".

Maybe if it had started out differently - I don't know. I was expecting a drama and it seemed to turn into.. Well, I don't exactly know what to call this brand of soap opera. If it was 'that' out of the gate.. I mean, I like Agents of SHIELD and that certainly is NOT 'modern believable'....

12. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Most shows go through fallow periods. Especially when they are on the 22-ep conveyor belt of big net prime. My hat's off to any show that can be consistent over a long season or over multiple long seasons, but not even many of the best ones accomplish that. Lost, which was a show pitched probably without any real idea where the story would even go beyond the pilot (Dr. Jack Shepard was even supposed to die in the pilot originally), had probably only one stinker ep in 118 over 6 seasons. That's a success rate of over 99%. And if you were troubled by the serialization, every ep also had a satisfying self-contained story.

But that is a high bar. We can still have excellent shows that falter a bit now and then. Scandal may have faltered, which is also why it took me so long to get this far with it, but this year it got better than it ever had been before.

And faltering is usually a factor in the "suspension of disbelief" quotient, and they might have gone over the Mendoza line a couple of times, but they came back. And it's outrageousness in this case is part of its appeal. Compare that to Zoo, or Whispers, where the suspension of disbelief is challenged pretty strongly even in the very first episodes.

13. keith_benedict

keith_benedict Godfather

Jan 11, 2007
    My biggest problem with the show is that it got weighted down with the whole B613 thing. It stopped being enjoyable when they stopped being "fixers".

14. keith_benedict

keith_benedict Godfather

Jan 11, 2007
    For both my wife and me, the kidnap storyline was ridiculous and contrived. We couldn't wait for that to be over. Feel the same about the B613 storyline. It consumes too much of the show. Liv and company don't do nearly enough fixing now. That was the fun part of the show.

15. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I have to concur with some of the responses. I really liked the "We fix things" plots.