1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Scared to Pull The Trigger on HR-44

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TheKnobber, Jan 16, 2014.

1. TheKnobber

TheKnobber Cool Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Need some advice from you guys. My HR-24 is getting long in the tooth, and I'm guessing it won't last more than six more months. I would love to get the HR-44 but frankly am pretty concerned with stability and issues after following all the threads on here for the last year.

My HR-24 is rock solid and has never missed a recording or had any problems of any kind in years. Scared to give up that level of reliablity.

What do you folks who have an HR-44 think?

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I've had my HR44 for about 6 months. No issues at all.

Only complaint my wife sometimes has is the remote -- the new C71 is a bit different and not universally loved. Especially with four other boxes in the house using the older style DirecTV remote.

We have an AN-21 hooked up to the 44 for OTA, but it is our fall-back for watching when the weather gets bad. No issues other than the database they use to determine local channels. I was looking forward to an OTA scanning HR44, but that was removed before I received my 44.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Make the change. You'll be upset you didn't do it earlier. Mine is more rocksolid that my hr 24 was. And my HR 24 was great.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I have a HR24-500 in our Family Room and a HR44-200 in our Home Theater Room. If given the choice of keeping one and forfeiting the other I would choose the Genie. It's speed and features far outweigh the issues associated with it.

5. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Make the change. I have the HR34 and other than a couple of glitches have been extremely happy with it. Keep in mind that people that are upset about something are much more likely to post in a public forum than those that are totally satisfied. That's just human nature.

6. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    MY 44 has been rock solid. If your 24 has never given you any problems what makes you think it's going to fail in six months?

7. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    Ditto.

The HR44 is the best HD DVR DirecTV has offered to date.

It's that simple.

1 person likes this.
  8. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Very true.

Besides for the "regulars" on this forums, most post about the HR44 are negative since they come here seeking advice when having issues. Those that are happy with them, are enjoying their TV watching courtesy of their HR44

9. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    Very much in agreement with all the above. Get the HR44, and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how nice it is. The HR44 also works in IR only with the "old" remotes, as well as the new RC-71 in RF or IR mode at the same time!

10. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I've had the 44 for a couple of months and I don't even notice any difference except that I don't have to worry about how many recordings I set up.

11. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Perhaps PIP might remind you that you are not using an HR24... :rolling:

12. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Geez, what do you say about HR20's and HR22's?

13. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I too have had my HR44 for a couple of months. It works and as far as I can tell it works well. That's what I want and expect from any piece of equipment....kind of a "do your job and stay out of my way" approach. If I have to adjust, tweak, fix, realign, or otherwise fuss with a piece of equipment then I consider it a pain in the backside and it's a problem. My HR44 is none of that.

14. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    As a die-hard switcher that has had the HR20, 21 and 24-500, I can tell you that since coming back to D* a week ago that the HR44 is the very best and fastest HDDVR they've ever had. And I really liked the HR24s when I had them.

15. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    LOL, still haven't jumped myself. Have quite a backlog of calls from customers, and talking a day off to work on my stuff is at the bottom of the list.

And I am a little scared of overhauling the equipment rack . . . .

16. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The only thing you might not like about the HR44 (or HR34) is that it does not live buffer when in standby. That is something I truly miss, but other than that the 44 is rock solid and a delight to use. You will not regret making the change.

17. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Unless you're going to use an AM21/AM21N to record OTA channels, you should be just fine. There is a bug a number of folks have noted where some stations do not have a complete recording when doing OTA. For me it's our local FOX, local and syndicated programming is fine but if it's a Fox network show and it's longer then a half hour you're almost guarenteed that you'll get a keep/delete message at around the 45 minute mark.

18. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Go with the HR44. Keep in mind, with any given new firmware release even your stable HR24 could start glitching. Having worked with these boxes since 2007, it is apparent that the stability and performance of all of them change over time. none of them are perfect. I just upgraded to an HR44 and two HR24's. They are quite nice. They are NOT perfect. I have had to restart my 44 twice in the last week because its reponse to remote commands slowed to a crawl or stopped entirely. It acted as if the machine had gone into a loop and refused to ack, much less respond to commands.

That being said, I like the HR44 (and 24 for that matter) quite a bit and the glitches I've seen so far are typical and completely consistent with everything I've seen since 2007. These new boxes are quite a bit faster and quite a bit less "klunky" than the HR20/21/23 series. So far I have not lost any recordings (and I'm doing a ton)

The one thing you have to make peace with is that things are going to go wrong now and then. I get occasional drops in the audio. This problem has been around (off and on) over 5 years on every box I've used. It has never been completely cured. I've observed it on both the new HR44 and HR24.

None of these little things would deter me or make me regret the upgrade we did two weeks ago to get these new boxes. It's all part of the game. When it gets really bad, it can be annoying, but getting a different box won't solve the problems I'm referring to. They are developmental issues and have been with us since the HR20-700 first came out. They aren't going away, so don't let that stop you from getting the 44....it's a fine unit and you will love its speed and 5 tuners, not to mention storage space.

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm still trying to process "is rock solid" and "guessing it won't last more than 6 months".

20. TheKnobber

TheKnobber Cool Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Wow, pretty impressed with the overwhelming positive responses on th HR-44. Thanks!

I was expecting more of a mixed bag based on all the issues threads.

Based on this feedback, I think I will go ahead and pull the trigger.

One more question for the board: Will I be able to keep my HR-24 until I am done watching the recorded shows once I get the HR-44? I have about 20-30 recordings I need to watch on the current unit before I would want to give it up.