1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sci Fi Channel changing name, logo

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Wire Paladin, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    Looks like Sci Fi Channel is changing its name to Syfy in June. And a reason for it, is they can't trademark Sci Fi. Must be from the same minds that created the Spike Channel.:)

Sci Fi Channel changing name, logo

2. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    SyFy n. a genre mixing science-fiction with liberal doses of woo.

(Seriously, though, wouldn't "SyFy" be pronounced "Siff-ee" or "Sife-ee?")

-- Roger

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Oh dear. Another assault on our language. "Sci-Fi" is a catchy little neologism but "syfy?" Unforgivable. We wonder why our children can't spell. I understand it... when every corporation is doing its best to make up words or mangle existing ones. Even I have gotten to the point where the word "singular" looks wrong. I keep thinking it should start with a "c."

4. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Of course what they don't say in the article is that it'll be easier to add more things like wrestling to their line-up by changing the name to something that's only sorta kinda identifying itself with a particular genre. Once again as we've seen so many times we find a channel that's gained a good core audience wanting to water-down it's niche-specific programming so it can become what mostly comes down to just another general interest channel. Sure you might get a little wider audience possibly (but with so many choices these days the pie is sliced so thin its hard to imagine you'll gain enough market share to really matter), but i'm not sure that's the smart business move anymore. The thought being bigger is always better so you always want more viewers no matter what, but in todays market maybe not-so-much really. After all if I was a network I actually think I might be in a better position if I could say I have 1 million dedicated viewers that tune into my channel no matter what because they love our genre and on top of that I know the demographics of that audience so advertisers will know who they're advertising to, really allow them to target the ads to cater to the audience. As opposed to say my channel has 2 million viewers on our most popular shows but they aren't necessarily loyal to our channel just the shows so the numbers fluctuate quite a bit and different groups watch different shows so it's hard to pinpoint what advertising is going to work best. Anyway just my 2 cents here.

5. solmakou

solmakou Legend

Mar 6, 2009
    As soon as they drop wrestling and 6 hours of ghosts and goblins from their lineup I'll start watching again.

6. Talos4

Talos4 Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    Amen!!

7. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Most folks will likely think the new name's a typo....:D

Spellcheckers - prepare for battle. :lol:

8. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    It does appear that is where this channel has been heading, and is still headed. I wish the advertisers would see the advantage of the niche-specific channels.

I also find it funny that the artical thought that shows like Eureka were a way that they were already moving away from that niche. Eureka may not be spaced based, but it hard to see how it is not science fiction.

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Mark my words: some day FedEx will become FEx (since FX is more or less already taken).

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    TVSquad.com has an image of the new logo, and I believe I have the best possible comment on the situation...

y?

11. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    The SciFi channel's existence was what brought me to DirecTV. Then Georgia Cable (now part of Comcast) and I had a running argument over the channel. They claimed there was no room for it and I repeatedly expressed to them that if they would get rid of the 20 some odd shopping channels they would have room:lol:

DirecTV came along and that was it... they had SciFi. I told Georgia Cable to drop dead and I haven't been back since. That was 1994.

It is unfortunate that we have seen a weakening of this channel, a sign of the times I guess, I new we were headed for trouble when they put the so called "sport" of wrestling on it.

12. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Hibbard's original article included the image:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I have no problem imagining "greater". But I do understand the desire to copyright protect.

13. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Wrestlng on Sci-fi?? Give me a break!

14. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    Why in the world would they do this? The channel name defined it perfectly and there's no need to get all "cute" with the spelling.

It sounds like some higher-ups were getting bored and decided to make some changes.

15. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    This is what happens when "legal" is the decider....:rolleyes:

16. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    Again,they're trying to fix something that is not broke.

17. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Legend

Nov 30, 2007
    How does the Science channel get away with it? Is their name and logo not trademarked?

Why couldn't SciFi change their name formally to SciFi-HD? Should be very easy to trademark that.

18. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Much ado about nothing.

19. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Perhaps I should have said "legal" and "marketing" were the deciders. But they knew how we'd react. From the article:

20. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Wow that's pretty lame, looks like some folks at NBC U have too much time on their hands. Looking at it, I'm surprised they didn't got with CyFi, Cyber Fiction bay-be! But as long as they still Twilight Zone marathons over long weekends thats all I really care about. I can't quite wrap my head around the trademark issue, the channel has been around over 15 years and this is just becomming a problem now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.