1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scientists Squeeze Gasoline From Cow Patties

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- Scientists in energy-poor Japan said Friday they have found a new source of gasoline -- cattle dung.

Sakae Shibusawa, an agriculture engineering professor at the Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, said his team has successfully extracted 1.4 milliliters (0.042 ounces) of gasoline from every 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of cow dung by applying high pressure and heat.

"The new technology will be a boon for livestock breeders" to reduce the burden of disposing of large amounts of waste, Shibusawa said.

About 500,000 metric tons (551,155 U.S. tons) of cattle dung are produced each year in Japan, he said.

More at CNN

2. bobsupra

bobsupra Work In Progress DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 12, 2002
    Let's see, they used how much energy to produce the "30-atmosphere pressure and heat of up to 300 degrees Celsius (572 degrees Fahrenheit" it took to make how much gas? Sound like a lot (fill in rest of sentence as you wish).

3. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Combine this with my discovery of the cowtalytic converter and we just might be on to something. By the way, cow dung futures have soared in after hour trading to $5.00 per patty.

No more vanilla ice cream for me.

4. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Pure BS.

5. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I think that's probably better than adulterated BS for such experiments.

6. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Let's see, they used how much energy to produce the "30-atmosphere pressure and heat of up to 300 degrees Celsius (572 degrees Fahrenheit" it took to make how much gas?

Any investors putting funding into this technology: I've got another great fuel saving device! Just plug it into a nearby power outlet and watch the motor run all day long while only sipping gasoline! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.