1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Screen saver kills receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Throckmorton, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    Hi,

I just installed a Sony KDL-60R550A TV and Sony STR-DN1040 AVR. When I tune my HR-34 to a music channel, the screen saver kicks in after a few minutes and then the AVR turns off a few minutes after that.

What can I do to get around this? Will we _ever_ see a way to disable the screen saver?

If I disable HDMI Control the ARC (Audio Return Channel) doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

TIA

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
  3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Make sure you have the power saver function turned off on the dvr. It shouldnt have anything at all to do with the screen saver as its still providing audio and video(the floating logo) to your avr so its shouldnt be shutting off.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    How is this cable arrangement ?
    Do you have the HDMI going from the DTV receiver to the AVR and then to the TV ?
    If yes,
    can you bypass the AVR and see if the TV keeps the sound going ?

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    If your AVR is newish, you'll have a bunch of choices for music without running the TV. Would that work for your purposes? Save a bunch of $ depending on what your TV draws power wise.

6. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    Thanks for the replies. I've only had this setup for a couple of days and apparently jumped to conclusions. What I thought was happening isn't what was happening at all.

When I turn off the TV, the AVR turns itself off shortly after. It has nothing to do with the DVR at all. So all I need to do is turn the AVR back on and it stays on just fine.