1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Screen saver: PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by nowandthen, Nov 19, 2012.

1. nowandthen

nowandthen Godfather

Nov 18, 2005
    WTH? I'm watching TV and the screen saver comes on. Huh? WTH? (This has been an on going thorn in my side). The tuner is on a channel that is broadcasting, Why do I want the screen saver to kick in? :confused: Please stop it! Dtv should be smart enough, repeat, should be smart enough to know what channels are broadcasting 24/7 and which are not, if I'm tuned to a music only channel then maybe the screen saver makes sense, otherwise STOP IT! At least give me the option to indefinitely disable the screen saver. Dear Directv, I don't want or appreciate your screen saver. PLEASE MAKE IT STOP! :mad::nono:

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    What model Receiver/DVR do you have?
    Have you tried resetting it?

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And what software version?

4. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    MIne does that also ! Sleep mode Reset doesnt work :mad:
    Channel guide hangs when you scroll the guide :nono:

HR22-100 software 0x5d2

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Have you turned the scrolling feature off and tried it ?
    Menu, Settings, Display, Preferences, Scrolling Effects : OFF

It made a huge difference on my 3 receivers.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    From a previous thread he has the HR22-100 receiver unless his equipment has changed recently.

7. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    Yea did all of that long time ago. No joy :(

Yea got confused which reciever was goofin on me my other is a HR21-700. They both look the same from the front

8. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I never had that happen to me unless I have the tv on for a long time on the same channel, or using pandora or music channels, which receiver model you have AFAIK the HR34 does it from what posters are reporting, make sure you reset the receiver and turn off scrolling effects in the settings menu and power saving off.

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm guessing it's happening when you haven't touched the remote for an extended period.

10. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    Nope in fact it just happen this morning to me ! Was watching TV at 6am went to my office then back to the kitchen 45 minutes later turned on my TV and ther it was DTV Logo Floating around my screen.

11. nowandthen

nowandthen Godfather

Nov 18, 2005
    Not sure in most cases. I don't need a screen saver, after all, the image is constantly changing as it is tuned to a 24/7 channel. Aren't all channels 24/7 now? Infomercials in the middle of the night.

Just don't get why there is a screen saver except for maybe music (audio only channels). :confused:

This has been happening a lot lately.

HR22/100, 0x628

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    This would require some work but might be worth it to try.
    Take pictures of your series settings first so you can refer to them to rebuild the settings.

Do a software reset and choose the second one in the list "Reset Defaults".
    This is going to reset all settings that you have done to the receiver. This choice will not erase your recordings like the third one in the list will do.
    After you do this you will need to remake your favorites list, series recording list, resolution choices, etc.

Do this also: check the signal strengths of each of the satellites on each of the tuners and see if they are different. It has been suggested that if one tuner is not getting a good signal that it can trigger the Screen Saver.

13. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    The reason there's a screensaver is for when you've paused playback. It's not supposed to pop up while you're watching tv and there's been activity on the remote.

14. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Screen saver prevents burn in if you've left it in Pause. Is it remotely possible some how Pause is being activated?

15. Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski Mentor

Nov 17, 2011
    It is a power save mode. In communications from Directv there is supposed to be a setting to turn it on or off, but I can't seem to find any such setting in the menu systems on several different model receivers. My r22-100 goes into this power saving mode randomly.

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Menu, Settings, Power Saving

17. Mark40930

Mark40930 Mentor

Aug 2, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I know a version of screen saver kicks on when watching News Mix channel. Can disable that one by pressing the Dash key twice on your remote, but not sure if that will turn this one off.

18. Igor

Igor Godfather

Jan 3, 2005
    Do you have two tuners enabled?

19. mark40511

mark40511 Legend

Jul 18, 2008
    Lexington KY
    Oh Oh Oh------

This has happened to me SEVERAL times. I occasionally watch live tv but usually it's DVR recorded programs and this has happened to me three times. Once on Live, and twice watching DVR recordings.....I was like WTH? I did a reboot. I haven't seen this in a few months. I am going to turn scrolling effects off.

20. nowandthen

nowandthen Godfather

Nov 18, 2005
    Thanks Runner,

Pause will resume after 90 minutes right? Are we really worried about burn-in after only 90 minutes? I'm not. I watched years of HGTV while it was still 4:3 aspect ration, only channel I tuned to, guess what? I don't see brighter images where the wider 16:9 images display. OK, maybe it would burn-in if I had a Plasma, but the majority of TVs are LCD, at least give us an option to disable the screensaver, it's become a real annoyance lately.