1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Size Help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by larry34, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larry34

larry34 Cool Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I've got a 34" Sony XBR and a H20-600. On the new ESPNNEWS HD, the left side is cut off a tad bit. Is that a function of my TV or my Direct TV Box?

I tried moving the screen in the menu on my box, but it messes up the other channels if I move it too much to see ESPNNEWS HD.

Any help?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Sounds like an overscan issue with your TV. "My Sony XBR2" is centered and has about 3-5% overscan, which doesn't cut off anything "important". I also have a "Zero" overscan setting [TV] that will show everything including "garbage" that I don't want [why all or most TVs have overscan].
    You may need to have a tech "tweak it" from the service menu.

3. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    You may also try checking the resolution output of the H20. If it is set to either 480i or 480p, the image of an HD feed would look cut off, as well.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm going to move this to the HD receiver forum...
    and if I remember correctly H20s have a centering function in them. I know H21s do for sure. It's in the menu somewhere.

Just be aware, the H20 line is the only receiver that has this function.

5. yuppers519

yuppers519 Godfather

Aug 6, 2007
    What channel is espnnews hd. it's not showing up in menu, settings, favorites on my hr20? the sd version is there at 207.

6. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    DIRECTV will not carry it until Wednesday. There has been a few simulcast of it on ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD so far. The next one will be ESPN2 HD tonight at 11:30pm ET.

7. larry34

larry34 Cool Member

Jan 29, 2008
    My tv supports up to 1080i, and I've got all 4 resolutions marked with native display on. I've tried the centering function on the D* H20, but it messes up the rest of the channels. I think it might be in my tv settings. Thanks for the help.

8. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Search for "test pattern" on ch79 and when the show the overscan screen, you can see how much of the full 1920 x 1080 picture your tv is or isn't cutting off.

9. larry34

larry34 Cool Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Is the test pattern function in my box or tv?

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It is a "program" that airs. Those of us with a DVR can record it and use it anytime, but since this is the non DVR thread, you would only be able to "tune to it", so you would need to watch it live and it's only ten min. What you would see though is the same or similar to what the tech would use to make the adjustments in your TV.
    Your "problem" lies in your TV. To make the needed adjustments you need to go into the service menu [which can really screw up your TV if you make an incorrect adjustment]. This site can help you to find out how to enter the service menu: http://www.bruzziforum.com/vbf/showthread.php?t=48
    I spent a lot of time working with my old Sony RPTV tweaking it. In hind sight, I should have paid the service call and been done with it.
    With my new Sony, while still under warranty, I called them out.

11. larry34

larry34 Cool Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Thanks alot for the site and information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.