1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SD DNS worth it anymore?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by 311Man, Jan 14, 2010.

1. 311Man

311Man Godfather

Oct 20, 2007
    Long time D* customer grandfathered with DNS SD locals from NY/LA along with old Total Choice Plus Package (No Locals). I use OTA which is great other than after the changeover acquiring local CH6 ABC Philly is rare over OTA. I have been debating removing the DNS SD as the $14 value is less after football season is over. The fact that I have to watch ABC in SD isn't the greatest either.

Does anyone know if I remove the DNS feeds can I remain with the existing Total Choice Plus package and add locals or will i need to change package? If so how much would they charge for locals with existing package? Anyone else is this same situation?

2. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    I have the sd dns channels but only pay $10.00 a month for them ,but i also have my locals in hd which are included in my total choice plus package at no extra charge,i wonder why you pay $14.00 a month for dns channels?.I have also been thinking about dropping the dns channels,plus the protection plan,to save money. I wish verizon would give me a better deal to get fios tv i have everything with verizon except my tv service, but if i switch to verizon i'll still be paying around $295.00 a month for 4 cellphones ,housephone,internet and tv,which is what i pay with directv and verizon.,but i was looking at verizons tv list and i counted 40 channels directv doesnt carry,plus no $10.00 acess fee for palladia,smithsonian,HDNET MOVIES,etc.,etc..

3. 311Man

311Man Godfather

Oct 20, 2007
    $3.50 for both west and east feeds per network. 4 Networks = $14.

4. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I have 3 of them but no CBS. I think for now I am going to keep them. Unless I get another HD DVR in the living room for a total of 4 functional tuners at a time I need west coast feeds. My locals are not available from D* though although I hear the Joplin/Pittsburg DMA will be up and running this year.

5. TonySCV

TonySCV Legend

Oct 10, 2006
    I gave them up a year or two ago. I too was grandfathered for years due to obtaining waivers from all 4 LA networks when they still gave them out, but with HD programming and dual-tuner DVR's now having the east coast feeds in SD only just wasn't worth it to me any longer.

6. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    just an opinion here, but if you drop them its a pita to get them back if wanted.
    better to have then not have I'd think.

7. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Thats kind of what I think to. If I drop them I will have thought alot about it first. It would be harder for me to get them back then most probably as I really should not have any anyway but was able to get some waivers granted so its really hard for me to want to let them go. If I had enough tuners and the storage space to record what I needed all the time it would be a much easier decision although I enjoy the Major League sports I can see with it. The extra MLB baseball games are nice. NFL I dont really use them for that since I have Sunday Ticket. SD does not bother me as bad as most on here. I only got HD to begin with for HDNet for the MMA content so SD DNS is okay. Sure HD would be better but not a deal breaker or anything for me.

8. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    I'm in the NY DMA and had the LA DNS but turned them off shortly after getting HD. Wasn't worth the $$ to me anylonger especially since I was not watching SD locals.

9. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I'd like to drop them to save a few $ each month, but I have to have them in order to continue to receive the HD versions. DirecTV doesn't yet offer our locals, either SD or HD.