1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

SD DVRs VS U-verse

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by crkeehn, Sep 24, 2013.

1. crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Recently I had my conventional phone service replaced by ATT U-Verse. Since then I have noticed that my DVRs are phoning home repeatedly each day. They are making 40+ phone calls per day, each lasting 20 - 30 seconds. Is there a trick to getting a SD DVR to work and play nicely with VOIP?

I have a R15-300 and an R16-100. I don't know if one or both of them are calling out.

Thanks
    Carl

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Since I believe neither of those are Tivo's I have no idea why they are phoning out....are you getting the callerID messages ok on both units? It really sounds like the jacks those two are connected to were possibly not accounted for in your U-Verse install. One of the very 1st questions the UVerse installer should be asking is where are all your phone jacks, and are you using them all. It helps them to determine the best way to install the serive since its VOIP. I just switched to UVerse voice and Internet within the last few months, but all my DVR's are HD.....shouldnt make that much difference except I am all internet connected as well so it doesnt phone home via the POTS line anymore from my understanding, the phone connection is only there for callerID on my tv screens.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    A non TIVO unit will make a call to transmit access card data etc, but nothing like that.

Personally, unless you really want caller ID on your TV, or order PPV via remote, I'd just unplug the phone connection and be done with it, unless the jacks aren't active as they are supposed to be.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DVRs will try many, many times if they're unsuccessful at connecting. I'm guessing that's what is going on here.

Many VOIP services don't get along with POTS modems like those found in satellite receivers.

5. crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Thank you, I think that must be what's happening. Yes I do get the caller ID on the unit and would prefer to keep it. The fact that each call is only about 30 seconds long makes me think that the unit is not connecting.

6. crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    When the installer came, I informed him that I did want all of the jacks to be active. Before he left, I tested them and they are active.

7. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Go to system setup and run the receiver test. I believe that the newest software requires not just a dial tone but it also places a call to DirecTV to see if it can connect. If this test fails it means your U-verse phone service won't pass dial up modem signalling. I'd just unplug the phone line from the DVR since DirecTV doesn't care anymore if you have a phone line or not. There are all kinds of inexpensive caller ID units you can use instead-some even speak who is calling.

8. tonyc

tonyc Legend

Jun 12, 2006
    Anaheim,CA
    had the same problem , DirecTV did not understand or would not confirm they where there numbers . I had two numbers which made it look like I was using way more minutes than I did. I gave up and unplug the receivers. :bang