1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SD & HD Connections on a 942???

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by rockitman, Aug 31, 2005.

1. rockitman

rockitman Cool Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Hey everyone,
    I have a Pioneer 730HDI RPTV and a DISH 942. I love the HD output on the 942 using a HDMI cable, but the SD looks terrible. I want to take advantage of the excellent stretch modes on the 730HDI for the SD content (as that is the big reason that sold me on this RPTV). The stretch modes that are on the 942 or the 811 are not satisfactory to me.

Has anyone else come up with a solution to watch both HD and SD on their HD TV's???

2. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    Some TVs will allow you to adjust aspect ratios when you are using analog (component) cables for video. I have DVI, component, and s-video all connected to my set.

3. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Connect your TV2 output to your television, and watch in SD. That's what I do.

4. cebbigh

cebbigh Icon

Feb 27, 2005
    I think a lot depends on the equipment you are displaying your image on. I have a relatively inexpensive RS 53" Panasonic that I got at Costco. After going round and round on SD image quality I finally did an A/B comparison using my kids as judges to tell which Video Essentials calibrated image was better on my set, DVI or Component. The consensus was Component. I'm sure on other displays the DVI would be better. But since that time I've been watching everything via component (I use the composite for a seperate TV and DVD recorder). The image I get from the component for HD is flat out great. The SD image is good (on my set, for whatever reason, all SD output per channel is not equal. Locals are just too compressed to watch as anything other than OTA if possibile. HBO channels look good, I wasn't impressed by Showtime HD or SD and dropped it, SciFi channel is acceptable, Turner Classic Movies looks very good, American Movie Classics looks washed out. It is very important to calibrate for the best picture. And then you just have to accept that SD will always be SD after getting spoiled by HD.

5. zephyr

zephyr Legend

Jun 25, 2005
    How do I keep TV2 output from looking squished? OTA channel broadcasting SD content. I did a search that finds the problem, but not solution.
    Just got the 942 last night. Thanks.

6. Bichon

Bichon Godfather

Jun 5, 2003
    Press the asterisk "*" button on the remote and select the correct picture format.

7. zephyr

zephyr Legend

Jun 25, 2005
    oh. thanks!

8. HailScroob

HailScroob AllStar

Aug 3, 2004
    I have an Elite 610HD and for me the best SD picture comes via the component input and setting the 942 to output 480i. That way both the Pioneer line doubler and the Natural Wide stretch mode are active. The downside is that you have to go back and set the 942 to 1080i when you want to watch HD - a dozen button-press process. Totally sucks, but it beats having to live with either SD via composite (RCA jacks... how 1982!) or using the 942's awful stretch modes. A lot of people on this board have asked for an SD/HD button or key sequence on the 942 remote, which would make switching the component output between 480i and the last HD resolution a one button deal. Hopefully the programmers will get that done. Dunno how they can sleep at night, knowing that the 921 does something better than the 942... ;o)