1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SD on composite and S-VHS out

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jksellman, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Jan 5, 2012 #1 of 12
    jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    I Have read the threads on this issue...
    I would like to know if there is a way te eliminate the "your TV or Cables are not HD" graphic from the composite and "S" outputs. I know that DTV has chosen not to have the new HD graphics show up on the SD ouputs, but that graphic is a PITA.
    I use all my outputs all the time, so a converter is not a great solutiion for me.
    Is there a work around or an "adjustment" to eliminate that graphic?

2. Jan 5, 2012 #2 of 12
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Set the receiver to 480i/native off and the graphic will not appear.

3. Jan 5, 2012 #3 of 12
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  4. Jan 6, 2012 #4 of 12
    RBTO

RBTO Legend

Apr 11, 2009
    This works but downrezzes the HDMI and component outputs to 480i also, so you will lose your HD.

There is no other "workaround" right now other than staying in HD and converting an HD output (HDMI or component) with an external converter to feed your SD display (unless you can tolerate the 480i resolution on your HD displays).

If you only use one display at a time (HD OR SD), you can pop back-and-forth (between 480 and 1080) by holding the EXIT button down for a few seconds.

5. Jan 6, 2012 #5 of 12
    Thwarter

Thwarter Cool Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Yeah, this SD Only is a MAJOR PAIN for me.

I have my HR22 receiver's HDMI going to my AV receiver in my living room and I also use the S-Video output which goes to a tuner card in one of my PCs in my second room (my 'office' if you will).

So now, when I'm in my office watching TV via S-video on my PC and have my AV receiver off, the HR22 wants to reset to SD. Before the HD update everything worked perfect. The receiver never forced reset to SD just because I only was using S-video.

Now I have to reset the HD Resolution every freeking time I change between watching in my computer room and my living room. And turning back on each resolution takes multiple button presses forcing the HDMI handshake reset each resolution. It's takes nearly five minutes of button pressing to get them all turned back on.

DirecTV, please remove this horrible forcing of SD/HD. Let us manage how our receivers function!

6. Jan 6, 2012 #6 of 12
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't think DIRECTV is going to take action on this anytime soon. I think you would be best served by buying a component to composite converter.

7. Jan 7, 2012 #7 of 12
    NFLnut

NFLnut Icon

Sep 28, 2006

So .. once AGAIN, DirecTV raises its middle finger to its paying customers and says "It's not a bug. It's a feature. Learn to like it." As they have with all of these carp DVRs! Many of us simultaneously use several outputs, i.e. when my wife is watching on the big HD screen in the living room, I might also be watching on the small SD TV in my office. And with this new GUI (which I HATE, BTW) that DirecTV has foisted upon us (although the old one was fine and yet WORKED properly) we can no longer do this without forcing our wives (or other family member) to have to suffice with SD on the HD TV. Oh .. except for us having to buy a piece of equipment (minimum $55 from what I've seen) for every DVR. Just because they decided that we "needed" a new GUI (when the other one worked fine).

DirecTV subscriber since 1995, and quite possibly not much longer!

8. Jan 7, 2012 #8 of 12
    NFLnut

NFLnut Icon

Sep 28, 2006
    Oh .. and pressing and holding EXIT most of the time results in nothing but the banner staying on screen and the "BONG BONG BONG BONG .." sound effect. DirecTV can NOT program a DVR to save their lives!

9. Jan 8, 2012 #9 of 12
    rdhamouris

rdhamouris New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    I think my situation, though similar in many ways to others posting here, is a little different in that I DO use one monitor per HD DVR...

I've been a DTV customer for well over 10 years. 3 different technicians have been in my home over the last 2 years, one most recently in November when I setup the whole house recording. The technician was aware that I had 1 sd tv and 1 hd tv and two hd dvrs. I have been able to record programming on both machines and watch them on either tv until the 'upgrade'.

When I contacted customer service/technical support I was told by both the cus service and tech support staff that there was no way to watch the sd tv without downgrading the hd dvr it was attached to to sd, which also downgrades the recordings. I told them, very calmly mind you, that this was not acceptable and would they please escalate me to a manager so I could lodge my complaint.

The supervisor, not manager, I was connected to had a chip on his shoulder from the moment he said 'how can I help you' which had more of a tone of 'how can I make you dry up and blow away' than anything else. And I was given the standard company line... it's our equipment and we can do anything we want to with it.

I was taken aback at the level of customer disservice and explained that as a software developer if I changed a client's software and it degraded their equipment's performance, even if I owned the network hardware it was deployed on, I'd be fired at least and probably sued. His condescending remark was that he didn't know what kind of software development I did but DTV's is different and I couldn't possibly understand the complexities of their systems and besides, I should upgrade my equipment for the 21st century.
    I didn't bother asking him if he lived in the same economy the rest of us do, or telliing him I've been designing and developing both hardware and software systems for over 30 years, or try to point out the contradictions and arrogance in his arguments, but I did manage to swallow my outrage and simply said "I get it, as far as your company is concerned the customer is always wrong, have a nice day"

... ok hadda get that out... thanks

10. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Wow. It's too bad you received such bad customer service. Especially, since their information was wrong.

On your DVR that is attached to the SD TV, keep recording and watching the HD versions of the channel. Keep SD duplicates hidden, if you don't want to see them. sSet the DVR to output only 480i and/or 480p, whichever your TV accepts. Set the format that looks best for most of your viewing.

You will view SD quality in your SD TV, like usual. Anything recorded in this DVR from an HD channel will display as HD when watching through MRV on HD sets.

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Just an addition to the great advice Doglover gave you...Also make sure NATIVE is set to OFF in the DVR setup.

12. rdhamouris

rdhamouris New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Thank you so much you two... I'll try that tomorrow morning. I was JUST about to surf thru costco and fry's electronics to find the cheepest hd tv I could find... so far the only casualties are the missed season premiere of The Firm (because I didn't recognize the little TEENY red x on the record icon in the todo list) and an argument with my wife about what we were going to watch next :)

thanks again!