1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SD Quality, you gotta be kidding

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Renard, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 2, 2007 #1 of 39
    Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Instead of describe the problems and go on and on about how bad the SD pictures are, i took some pictures from my TV. (pictures are better than talk)
    These pictures have been taken on a HD LCD TV, hooked up on the S video to a DVR R15 (best connection on the R15).
    The pictures come from KIng 5 Seattle (NBC affiliate)
    Just look at the pictures, and notices the BIG vertical bars :nono2: :eek2:
    Look at all the echos in the pictures :eek2:
    Look at the person on the picture we can see him 3 times (echos) :nono2: :eek2:
    I know that Directv use heavy compression on SD locals, but i start to wonder if the local channels are sending from the source bad pictures.
    When you see this picture, i don't think it' Directv problems , but the local channels that send bad picture quality to Directv.
    I've noticed the same thing to Komo 4 (ABC) and other channels here in Seattle area and sometimes it is even worse, we can see some vertical lines that come and go :nono2: :eek2: :(
    Of course i have the same problem with my HR20 (hooked up with the HDMI), and my other Tivo.
    Is there someone that check picture quality at Directv or from the channels themselves. Mmmmm, now I WONDER?????? :confused:

2. Aug 2, 2007 #2 of 39
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    We had a similar problem last year with Fox 8 here in Cleveland. Took several emails to both Fox 8 & D*. Went on for a while then, poof, nice clear picture. Couldn't tell you what the problem was, where it was Fox 8 or D*, or what fixed it. But it got fixed.

Just pester D* and your local station.

3. Aug 2, 2007 #3 of 39
    julesism

julesism Legend

Feb 24, 2004
    looks to me that the feed D* gets is coming from good ole analog OTA.... someone should adjust the rabbit ears!

4. Aug 2, 2007 #4 of 39
    MLBurks

MLBurks Icon

Dec 16, 2005
    My SD picture looks A LOT better than that. I think that an SD picture on a HD set will look worse than it would on an SD set. I use a S-Video connection to my 32" SD set and my picture looks great. Nothing like yours.

5. Aug 2, 2007 #5 of 39
    Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I agree with you, SD channels look worse on a HDTV, but in that case, IT IS REALLY NOTICEABLE :eek2:

6. Aug 2, 2007 #6 of 39
    directvfreak

directvfreak Godfather

Feb 1, 2006
    Hey, are you an i-jacker?:D

(Your pictures are from dateline last night about i-jackers, also knowns as iPod robbers)

7. Aug 2, 2007 #7 of 39
    Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Did they give you their usual can responses such as "it's your Dish, it's your TV", or they believed you right away?
    Was it hard to convince them, or was it an easy job?

8. Aug 2, 2007 #8 of 39
    Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    No i am not :hurah:
    I don't even own an Ipod :D

9. Aug 2, 2007 #9 of 39
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I'm out of town right now, so can't check and compare picture. But, I have NEVER seen that kind of picture from KING or KOMO or KIRO via DirecTV. I have seen that kind of picture from Comcast though, which is why I went with DirecTV.

I have an R15, D11, D12, HR20, H21 and R10. SD picture quality has been just fine on all of them (but the HR20 does a better job of sending an SD signal to my HD TV, to be expected).

Carl

10. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Look very carefully, pay attention to them,and you will see these problems. It depends on the colors and the background Sometimes on Komo 4 (SE4) you have some thin vertical lines that come and go (Hard to describe with a technical term) (not occur all the time though). As you can see on these pictures, it is pretty bad, and pictures speak by themselves.
    On locals HD NO PROBLEM at all.

11. convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    I live in the Seattle service area and I see the same thing. KCPQ (Fox 13) looks poor. But the rest of the major local HDs look fine. I think some of the primary source does matter. I have friends who have Comcast in Seattle and KCPQ and King 5 look poor on Comcast in Seattle too. It is not really D* fault. I think as we get closer to 2009 the switch to digital channels should help clear this up. I keep pestering D* via email weekly, so I think they are aware of the issue. Just keep on them.

12. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    It certainly looks like D* is receiving the signal OTA and they need to improve their reception.

My local channel 3 often shows electrical interference, as lower channels can when received off the air. It seems strange to see it on digital satellite.

13. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Well if the channel by itself sends analog transmition (with old OTA), I wouldn't call that 100% digital, i would call that analogital (analog+digital), and i think analogital are more used than you think.:nono:

14. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Renard:
    Not sure why you're having this problem. My Seattle OTA channels looks fine (well, as good as one can expect from 480i SD video). I do not have the vertical bar and other issues you describe.

About the only suggestion I can offer is to verify that your TV's video settings are optimized for SD 480i video (especially your brightness, contrast and sharpness settings). And be sure to disable your TV's "video enhancement features" if it has any.

Or perhaps the bars you're seeing are coupling into your equipment from elsewhere ... poor grounding or nearby interference?

15. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    My TVs are optimized (I used some DVD calibration such as AVIA)
    I agree with you about the grounding, but i don't think it's my case on my instlation. If it's grounding issue, with there is such echoes in the picture.
    Sometimes it is not noticeable, i would say you can notice it wen there is a black background. Pay attention to it, and i am sure you will notice the problems. Pay attention to komo 4 SD thru Directv sometimes you will see some horizontal lines that come and go (the problem doesn't occur all the time)

I don't talk about local channels you can recieve with an OTA, i talk about local channels you recieve thru Directv. Here in Bellingham i don't think i can recieve Seattle OTA, i just have KVOS 12, and channle 24 (shopping channel)

If you look in this thread someone posted that he has more or less the same problems.

16. skyboysea

skyboysea Icon

Nov 1, 2002
    Seattle locals looks really bad all the time for me too.
    On KING is see echos and most of the time the picture looks like if the contrast is set way to high with visible clipping in the lighter areas.
    KCTS is just awful, over-compressed to a point it is unwatchable. I complained to both KCTS and D* about this but a part from blaiming each other nothing has been done.
    On most of the other channels echos are always visible. This is not an issue of what tv you use, it is just bad signal. Hmm... time to complain to D* again.

17. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Right. I meant via DirecTV, too, not with an antenna. Guess I'm glad I don't have these problems on any of my DirecTV Receivers/DVRs.

18. skyboysea

skyboysea Icon

Nov 1, 2002
    How do you explain is this possible? We all get the same signal and while different receivers can perform differently (say less or more pixellation, less or more motion blur), all should display those problems that obviously from the source.

19. Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused Godfather

Jun 13, 2007
    480i signal > SD Receiver > S-video Cable > LCD HD TV = Horrible Picture

When I got my first LCD HD TV I only had it hooked up with a DirecTivo & S-Video cable for a week waiting for my HD Upgrade. The picture was so bad I almost brought the TV back and said forget about it. I gutted it out, and when I got the HR20 via HDMI hooked up all was well with the world. There just isn't much one of these TV's can do with an S-Video input.

20. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I'm puzzled. That's why I wonder if it's something else .... cabling issues, interference locally, defective receiver?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.