1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SD Video Problems @ AMC

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by 1953, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    July 4, 2007, Directv HD, AMC, Movie "Long Hot Summer",
    Video is blurry and generally subpar for AMC. I changed HDMI cables, changed from HDMI through the AVR to direct from HR20 to TV yet no improvement. After resetting the HR20 still no improvement.

Could this just be a one off problem with that particular broadcast or.....?

All comments welcomed.
    lp

2. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    SD quality is HIGHLY variable. Sometimes it is watchable, sometimes it is just awful. I tried watching a couple NASCAR events on SD and couldn't tolerate it. Football is awful in SD, period.

I"m sure sometimes AMC will be better than others....and I would never do a reset hoping for better SD quality...very unlikely to help.

The other thing to consider is garbage in = garbage out....only worse...if you have a screen > 42" inches, SD is only going to look marginally decent on a very few occasions. There just isn't enough bandwidth allocated to it, and the imperfections due to the compression being used are only amplified by the size of your screen.

Aside from news, I don't watch SD at all any more....it's just too painful.

3. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    I feel the same way -- especially SD as delivered by D* these days, and most especially sports. OTOH, a high-quality SD feed (e.g., analog BUD) can look pretty darned good, even on a large HD display w/ good scaling/deinterlacing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.