1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Seagate EHDs & Max EHD Size

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by ggulch, Jul 8, 2011.

1. ggulch

ggulch Cool Member

Jul 25, 2007
    I've been digging around in the 622 threads, and called Dish's so-called Tech Support twice looking for a recent, definitive answer regarding the max EHD size the 622 will address. I'm seeing 2 TB drives for just a few dollars moire than 1 TB units so it's a no-brainer, IF the DVR will address or see a 2 TB EHD.

Two calls to Dish yielded different answers, and both CSRs took some time to answer a (probably commonly asked) question that I think they should be able to answer off the top of their heads.

Newegg has Seagate Expansion series 2 TB drives for $80. Anyone have experience using these? I seem to recall that when Dish first turned on the EHD functionality the Seagates were problematic. Is that still the case? If so, what brands/models seem to be working well? I've been using a couple of Maxtor 750s and a 500 for some time, but we want more capacity.

TIA,
    Ron

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    2TB is the max size. You have to disable sleep mode while attached to a PC before using with the DVR. Most folks like the Western Digital drives. No troublesome sleep mode like Seagate.

3. gokartergo

gokartergo AllStar

Jul 8, 2011
    Yep..2 tb max for the 622,722 and 722k.. But 1 tb for the 211, and 211k

4. AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie Icon

Jul 27, 2004
    And it's a shame too that it still tops out at 2TB - Single drive 3TB USB-3/2 WD My-Books are going for $129 at Costco and at Amazon...