1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seagate External install problem???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jkk4, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkk4

jkk4 Cool Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Help, turned everything off, then plugged in Seagate Freeagent Pro 750GB with power and eSata cables. Turned on HR20-700 and it went through it's reboot. There was never any message on my screen regarding Formatting my new hard drive. Went into my "list" and my same old programs were still there.
    Soes it take a while to Format the new hard drive? Is there supposed to be any message? Someone, please help.

jkk

2. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Did you unplug the HR20? Turning it off isn't enough.

3. jkk4

jkk4 Cool Member

Jan 15, 2007

Steve, yes I did.

4. jkk4

jkk4 Cool Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Just tried a reboot by unplugging DVR and plugging back in. Should there be some message to tell me it's Formatting?

jkk

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Unplug both units. Plug in the Seagate and let it get up to speed, plug it into the HR and then plug in the HR. The HR will do the rest. To my knowledge it dfoes not format the hard drive, it comes formatted from the factory, mine did.

6. jkk4

jkk4 Cool Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Worked!!! It was a bad cable. Bought a new one at Best Buy and all is well!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

jkk

7. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Good to hear that you had success.
    Cables seem to be a common problem in threads on external hard drive installations. Some folks were cutting on their cables to make them fit but don't remember just what part of the connector was modified. You'd think a cable that came with a FAP would fit properly since it is designed to be an external SATA drive.
    Oh well, just glad that the cable that came with my Antec enclosure worked the first time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.