1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seagate FreeAgent 750Gb for eSATA drive ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by mhyne, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhyne

mhyne Cool Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Folks, I am thinking of buying one of the Seagate FreeAgent 750Gb eSATA drives this week to connect to my HR20.

I was wondering what people think of these ? Are they an acceptable drive ?

How noisy are these ?

Matt

2. jbstix

jbstix Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    I've seen a lot of posts about eSata stuff, try some of these.
    just did a quick search for "freeagent"
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=92029&highlight=freeagent
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=102140&highlight=freeagent
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=92029&highlight=freeagent

then you can search within the thread for "freeagent" again, to see specific posts

3. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Many folks seem to like them. I do not have one, but i have read where some have concerns about excessive heat. Seems to be a popular and well perfroming eSATA drive otherwise though.

4. Dusty

Dusty Icon

Sep 21, 2006
    I have one up and running for two weeks. So far so good. It works pretty well. Many in the forums have used it longer than I did. It seems to be well liked.

As a fringe benefit, it is quieter than the internal drive. My wife asked me to add one to the HR20 in our bedroom so she can sleep. Now, if I have the time to go to Costco.

5. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    I've had it for a couple of months and no problems yet...hooked right up, no problem...it does run warm, but quiet.

6. kfcrosby

kfcrosby Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    Great drive ! The only annoying feature for some is the case length yellow light. I've had mine for several months. It's been quiet and reliable for me.

7. thekochs

thekochs DirecTV 10yr+ Customer

Oct 7, 2006
    Thin black piece of electrical tape....low tech. :lol:

8. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    This has, I am sure, been aswered in another thread or 2, but does using an eSATA drive turn off the internal drive? Is the combined power requirement of the eSATA and the HR20 running the eSATA equal to the power requirement of an HR20 running w/o eSATA?

9. feschiver

feschiver Legend

Dec 19, 2006
    Originally Posted by SWORDFISH
    750GB FreeAgent Pro -- $199 at Best Buy
    SIIG eSATA Cable -- $19.99 at NewEgg

Upon purchasing the FAP, I connected the drive to my laptop computer and installed the included FreeAgent Tools. The "Utilities" function allows you to turn off the drive lights.

The lights will remain off unless the drive loses power. If this happens:

Leave the drive power cord plugged in.
    Disconnect the eSATA cable from the back of the drive.
    Connect the drive to your pc with a USB cable.
    Use the utilities to turn the lights off.
    Disconnect the USB cable.
    Reconnect the eSATA cable.

The above procedure will not have any effect at all on your recorded programs, links, favorites, etc.

10. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I am not a big fan of Seagate products, generally. Historically, the seagate products I've used were louder than average, and I just wasn't a big fan - even though I realize they make a good product... it was a personal preference thing more than a feeling that the product was inferior.

That said, I found a Free Agent pro on ebay about a month ago for $170 or so, and I just couldn't pass it up.

It works really well on my HR20. It's remarkably quiet - much quieter than any seagate drive I've ever had in the past (granted, it's been YEARS since I've used another seagate).

The case runs warm to the touch, maybe you'd call it "hot"... but not so hot that you can't hold your hand on it for as long as you would want - so I wouldn't call it excessive heat.

11. Dusty

Dusty Icon

Sep 21, 2006
    No. The eSATA doesn't power off the internal drive. It does quiet the internal drive down though.

12. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Does it at least keep it from spinning up? Seems like a power waste to spin the internal drive if you're using eSATA.

13. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    You can turn the light off if you hook it up to a computer first.

14. kki000

kki000 Cool Member

Oct 12, 2007
    been on the fap drive for about a week. Took a while to pick a date for my wife to give up the internal drive, had to make sure she was ready to switch.

Been working seamlessly since its been on, knock on wood.

btw i likes the lights, mine is behind my tv so its not blaring, but its cool to look back there and see the orange/yellow light.

15. Robert Norman

Robert Norman Mentor

Aug 26, 2005
    I have two hooked to two different HR20-100 and HR20-700. They are silent and have worked for months without any problem. I did have to put black electrical tape over the bright yellow light coming from the drive. They do a great job and you will not regret getting one for your HR20.
    Mike

16. cougar

cougar AllStar

Jul 6, 2007
    I've had a FreeAgent Pro 750 for 3 months and it works flawlessly. It's quiet and was simple to set up. Others have mentioned the yellow light; my drive is in the living room behind some other stuff so all I see is a faint glow which is not a distraction. If it were in the bedroom I would have to use tape or the utility to turn the light off.

17. BenE

BenE Cool Member

Oct 20, 2007
    My 750GB FreeAgent Pro just showed up, so I'm looking foward to getting it hooked up tonight.

Just for clarification purposes, once I hook it up, the HR20 will only see that drive, right? So everything I have on the HR's drive will be there, just invisible, but I can still get it if I unplug the Seagate then reboot the HR? (always turning everything off before making/undiong connections)

Same for setting it up, shut everything down, plug it in, turn everything on? Then reboot the HR20?

18. kfcrosby

kfcrosby Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    Okay guys...

I've had this drive for a little over a year now and last night the HR20 quit seeing it.

I powered everything down, leaving it off for 5 minutes or so, powered the drive back up, then the HR20, nothing. Suspecting a bad external drive, powered everything back down, connected the laptop to the drive, it's fine.

Powered back up, nope, still on the internal drive.

Any suggestions?

Kevin

19. elixir26

elixir26 Legend

Mar 9, 2007
    If you used the same cable to hook it up to the computer, it sounds like the HR20 took a dump. If not, than you could have a cable or HR20 issue. Don't fall in love with your programing it will eventually leave you.

20. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    It sounds like the eSATA port on the HR20 is bad. Since eSATA is officially unsupported at this time, I wonder if the protection plan covers replacing the HR20 solely for the eSATA port ..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.