1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Search by Title vs. Swivel Search

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by SpewHole, Mar 16, 2012.

1. SpewHole

SpewHole Mentor

Dec 8, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    Anyone else notice that Swivel Search kind of sucks?

Searching for "Call Me Fitz" brings up no results on Swivel Search, while with Search by Title, there are many SAT and On Demand results.

This isn't the first time I've noticed that Swivel Search results seems to be truncated...

Swivel Search would be a good replacement for one-time Wishlist Searches if the results were all-inclusive. It's cute for cross-referencing, like if you want to play degrees of separation for different actors, and it's nice and user-friendly with thumbnails and stuff, but the information it provides seems limited.

2. SpewHole

SpewHole Mentor

Dec 8, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    Today, the Find Programs menu has the little black box across the bottom of the screen stating: "Acquiring program information from the satellite. Some data available now. Full data in 1-2 days." Me thinks SwivelSearch might work normally after this.

Can someone refresh my memory about searching for titles with punctuation. I don't know why I'm remembering this, but I could swear that with the SD box, you could toggle different punctuation marks by clicking one of the other buttons near FF (space) and RW (backspace). It might have been PLAY or SLOW or SKIP. It doesn't seem to work the same way here.

I think someone else touched on this in the forum, but I can't find the specific post. What do I do if I need to search for something like 'Harry's Law' or 'Girl's Guide to Depravity, The'? I can't find any way to represent the apostrophe when doing a search....:confused:

3. macq

macq AllStar

Feb 19, 2006
    See page 19 of the THR22 Viewer's Guide manual that came in the box.

4. SpewHole

SpewHole Mentor

Dec 8, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    And I quote, "Replace hypens (-), slashes (/) and periods (.) with spaces. For example, use 20 20 to search for the title '20/20.' Any other marks, such as apostrophes ('), asterisks (*) and ampersands (&) are ignored. For example, use 6 OCLOCK NEWS to search for the title '6 O'Clock News.'"

Unfortunately, that's not working. Searching for HARRYS turns up no results. Searching for just HARRY, then scrolling all the way to the bottom of the results, I find "Harry's Law."

And the same goes when searching for GIRLS. "Girl's Guide to Depravity, The" will not result from that search. I end up having to drop the S, then scroll through every single 'girl' result to find it alphebetically at the very end.

Any other advice?

5. scamp

scamp New Member

Sep 3, 2011
    have you tried a space IE "GIRL S Guide" it says drop it and add a space but the example shows dropping it without adding a space.

6. SpewHole

SpewHole Mentor

Dec 8, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    Tried that already - doesn't work. There are actually two examples in the quote: [-./] symbols are represented by spaces and ['*&] symbols are ignored.

7. SpewHole

SpewHole Mentor

Dec 8, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's official. The THR-22 doesn't handle punctuation consistently when searcing by title.

For 'Bob's Burgers,' searching for BOB does not bring up the show, nor searching for BOBS. In this instance, I have to search for just BO then manually scroll through to find the program. Maybe the [B'] is being read as its own character? It doesn't seem to be following any logical pattern.

8. macq

macq AllStar

Feb 19, 2006
    Mine behaves slightly different.

For Search By Title I can enter BOB (not just BO) to get the list starting there and scroll down to see Bob's Burgers. But, like you, I cannot enter BOBS like I should be able to. Trying BOB S doesn't work either.

For Swivel Search, I can enter BOBS and get shown Bob's Burgers right away. Although, the first time I brought up Swivel Search the keypad was invisible - I had to exit the UI to live TV and return and then I could see the keypad in S/S.

This may not be helpful but my Tivo Premiere works just fine for all your examples. Bob's Burgers shows up right away. For your first example Call Me Fitz it shows results allowing me to create a wishlist (since no episodes are scheduled in next 2 weeks) or I can download from Amazon or Netflix.

9. SpewHole

SpewHole Mentor

Dec 8, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have firmware 018A still. What version do you have? Different version firmwares might explain the difference in searching for BOB vs. BO to populate 'Bob's Burgers' as a result. I checked again and BOB still doesn't bring up any resul;ts for me. I still have to search for just BO to find it in 'Search by Title."

As for the Swivel Search, I concur that titles with punctuation are searchable when dropping the mark. I haven't tested with the spaces yet, but I imagine it works the same way.

But a cause of concern for you should be that Call Me Fitz is actually airing many times over the course of the next two weeks. Re-search for it in 'Search by Title' instead of SwivelSearch and you should see a whole bunch of results in the former.

10. macq

macq AllStar

Feb 19, 2006
    My THR22 is still on 18A as well.

On Swivel Search, typing BOB brings up a list where Bob's Burgers shows up after Bobrow. The sort probably ignores the apostrophe and thus Bobs is after Bobrow. Did you scroll down far enough?

The Tivo Premiere is stand-alone - not for DirecTV. It doesn't use Search By Title and Swivel Search anymore. There is just one "Find" that searches everything - names, titles, whatever across all services you specify that you have - antenna, cable, Amazon, Netflix, Youtube, etc. On the THR22 the only channel I saw it playing was AUDHD - that's an exclusive channel to D*. So, my Premiere was correct in saying it isn't showing on any live TV channels it has available to it (just Amazon and Netflix).

11. SpewHole

SpewHole Mentor

Dec 8, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    On Swivel Search, it is not necessary to search for BOB in lieu of BOBS to find Bob's Burgers. I think we both agreed that Swivel Search is working properly with respect to finding punctuated program titles.

With 'Search by Title,' searching for BOB will not result in Bob's Burgers with my box. I checked and then I rechecked after you said it worked for you. Still nothing. Only BO is working (for me)...

I know what a Tivo Premiere is - I was responding to your statement about no episodes being scheduled in the next two weeks. It is clearer what you meant now because of your further specifications. But anyway, I got sort turned around because I thought you were talking about the THR-22 for the second half of that paragraph.

Does Call Me Fitz show up in Swivel Search for you? Still nothing for me with Swivel Search. Firmware difference was my best guess for the varying BOB vs. BO results we've experienced. The only other thing I can think of was that little box about acquiring program data that appeared recently. I waited a few days and it didn't go away, and I started to notice more problems, like the 'To Do List" being empty, blocks of program information missing from the guide, and random repetitive black-screen and audio disturbances during playback of recorded items. A restart cleared everything up; perhaps there are still some bugs lurking. Looking forward to a firmware update.

12. macq

macq AllStar

Feb 19, 2006
    Yes, I agree Swivel Search is fine for Bob's Burgers - just enter BOBS.

With BOB in Search by Title my list starts with "Bob el Constructor" and scrolling down will find Bob's Burgers after "Bobcats @ Pistons".

Call Me Fitz does not appear in Swivel Search at all.

It might be due to Fitz being only on the D* exclusive channel AUD. Perhaps the listing database that S/S uses doesn't include that channel? Have you found other shows on "normal" channels that don't appear?

PS:
    While Fitz being missing is bothersome, what I find even more annoying is that Swivel Search shows (many) choices that are not available with my programming package - even when the channel is not selected in Settings it still shows choices for that channel. Ack. It makes it almost useless when there are so many unwatchable items shown.

13. SpewHole

SpewHole Mentor

Dec 8, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for checking with Fitz. When I first searched for the program with 'Swivel Search,' I actually got 1 result from the AUD channel initally. When that episode aired, it switched to no results, where it stands now. So S/S (at some point) was definitely accessing a listing database that included AUD. I've been keeping a lookout for other discrepancies to see if I can discern a pattern, but still nothing.

I have Premier monthly, so there's not many channels I don't get. I'll keep my eyes open for programs that don't belong. Up until now, I had only been looking for missing programs.