1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Searching for Signal" on only 2 channels, on only 1 box

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Robert Simandl, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Dec 1, 2012 #1 of 13
    Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl AllStar

Jan 31, 2004
    My HR20 in the family room is suddenly showing "searching for signal" on two channels: SyFy and TNT. These are the only two channels with this problem, and it's only on the family room HR20. I have another HR20 in the bedroom and it picks up those two channels fine and dandy.

I've checked all cable connections (they're all fine) and done a red button reset. No luck. Still can't get those two channels in the family room.

Anyone have some insight into what's going on here? Thanks!

2. Dec 1, 2012 #2 of 13
    Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl AllStar

Jan 31, 2004
    By the way, this problem apparently started at 8:06PM Central Time, because the cheesy monster movie that started recording from SyFy at 8PM is showing in the list as a 6 minute partial recording.

3. Dec 2, 2012 #3 of 13
    TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    First thing is to do a menu restart. Are we sure that your HR20 is not a movie critic? (never mind...)

The restart will sort out issues where the box gets confused as to what port to send the switch commands back from, and possible other issues.

If it does not fix it, it can be the box, the cabling, any switch in the line, including the one in the LNBF. All are involved with the ability of the system to switch to the proper incoming port and polarity. Check signal levels, as that can also be part of this.

4. Dec 2, 2012 #4 of 13
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Try swapping the two DVRs. Does the problem stay with the "bad" DVR, or in its room?

5. Dec 2, 2012 #5 of 13
    Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl AllStar

Jan 31, 2004
    Update...

After just letting it sit overnight, the DVR now gets those two channels fine again.

Insert Twilight Zone music here.

Thanks Tomcat and litzdog for the replies!

6. Dec 3, 2012 #6 of 13
    SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    One of my HR20-700 showed 771 the other morning.... a restart didn't fix it.... I did a repeat of "dish setup": that fixed it! It had "forgotten" its dish setup. Aren't these machines wonderfully inventive?

7. Dec 4, 2012 #7 of 13
    Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl AllStar

Jan 31, 2004
    Another update...

Suddenly the DVR has nothing in the play list... it's BLANK, even though it shows only 2% free.

RBR currently underway, but thinking maybe it's time to retire this unit and get another one?

8. Dec 4, 2012 #8 of 13
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    2% Free is not enough free space for it to work properly.
    I think you should find some programs / movies that are questionable to keep and delete them to free up some space. I have read that some posters say you need 30% or more for their unit to work properly.

9. Dec 4, 2012 #9 of 13
    Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl AllStar

Jan 31, 2004
    Hmmm, never had these problems before, even though I've had 1% and sometimes 0% free. But just in case (and if the play list comes back after the RBR is done), I'll delete some of the older stuff.

Thanks!

10. Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl AllStar

Jan 31, 2004
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm the OP and I'm suddenly having similar issues again.

On my main HR20 in the family room, SyFy, TNT, and AMC all come up 771 searching for satellite... EXCEPT when I activate the "doubleplay" feature. Then those channels suddenly come in fine.

I come back the next morning after Doubleplay has stopped, no signal on those channels again.

Suggestions on what's up with this? Thanks!

11. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    It's something on Transponder 10 on 103A.
    If you go to your Settings->Sat & Antenna->View Signal Strength->Signal Meters what is the signal strength on Transponder 10 on 103ca on Tuners 1 + 2? (probably 0 on #2)
    If you swap the cables does the problem flip to the other tuner?

12. CATCRAW

CATCRAW Legend

Mar 27, 2008
    I had a similar issue recently. At first it was intermittent but then got to the point when the channels would not come on at all, 2 channels on 1 receiver only. DTV had me change the BBC's and then sent out a tech. Issue was bad cable from the dish to the dmarc. So instead of rewiring the 4 cables from the dish, he upgraded the dish to the newer single cable configuration. Problem resolved.

13. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    I had the "771 searching for satellite on 2" message last night on all my DVRs affecting the HD feed of about 4 or 5 channels(Fox News, CNN, History.....) it lasted for about 20minutes or so. The weather was OK and like I said only affecting those channels mentioned. I noticed the message around 11:45PM and RESET the 1st DVR to find that the message was still there upon it finishing, then on its own about 12:10 AM EST all those channels were available again. Was *D doing something (to those channels)or what?:confused: