1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Searching for Signal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Ronman, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Jan 4, 2010 #1 of 29
    Ronman

Ronman Cool Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Hi, I am trying to switch my system to SWM but get Searching for Signal. Here is what I did. Switched my LNB to SL3SPIG-P (I believe this is SWM3). I am also using a SWS8WB-P splitter and PI-21 Power Inserter. I removed the B Band Filters and have tried to manually set my equipment. HR21-100 on main TV, and HR20-700 in second room. I have a SD-DVR40 in the bedroom which I fully understand will probably not be comptabile. Cables are connected to Tuner 1 and caps were left on unused terminals.

So I have wired this all up and am at wits end. I thought I may have bumped the dish out of alignment so I converted everything back. All units work perfect. Good signal on both tuners. Go back to SWM and nada.

I'm throwing out the wiring diagram (by hand) I was given and looking for assistance. Can anyone help me wire this correctly? Or any other ideas.

2. Jan 4, 2010 #2 of 29
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    make sure that you have the power inserter going to the red (power passing) port on the splitter. The other red port goes to the LNB. If the LNB isn't getting power it isn't going to work. You'll know as soon you enter the sat setup if it detects the swim.

3. Jan 4, 2010 #3 of 29
    Ronman

Ronman Cool Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Ok, so power was wrong cause everytime I would go to setup it showed Slimline 5 and multiswitch.

Let's see if I have this striaght. The PI to SWM goes to the RED "In" terminal on the splitter. The Red "out" then goes to the SWM LNB on the dish. The PI out to IRD goes directly to main box (HR21) and one line from splitter goes to second TV(HR20)? Close?

4. Jan 4, 2010 #4 of 29
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    [​IMG]

This should help.

Attached Files:

5. Jan 4, 2010 #5 of 29
    Ronman

Ronman Cool Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Back to square one then. That was how I had the SWM and inserter connected. With "to IRD" going to one unit and a regular "out" going to second receiver.

6. Jan 4, 2010 #6 of 29
    bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
  7. Jan 4, 2010 #7 of 29
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Can you put the power inserter between the LNB and the splitter? If so, that will eliminate one possible point of failure, you can then plug ONE receiver directly into it to test, without the splitter. I also believe the HR20-700 SWM in port is labeled FTM, opposite of the HR21 in location.

8. Jan 5, 2010 #8 of 29
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    How far can the PI be from a SWM-LNB Dish ?

9. Jan 5, 2010 #9 of 29
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    just wondering if the PI itself works, have a green light on it?

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Minimum distance is 15 feet. Max distance is 150 feet. The PI must be located indoors, as it is not designed to be outside in the weather.

11. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Thanks .... I needed to relocate my PI to another room. 150' is plenty.

12. Ronman

Ronman Cool Member

Jan 4, 2010
    I tried this also. PI to SWM. Out to IRD straight to HR21, no luck. Yes the HR20 was marked FTM, that's the one I was using.

David MacLeod- Yes I have green light on.

Now the PI was not 15 feet away from the SWM. More like directly below the dish (Maybe 5-6 feet total cable run).

13. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    may have missed it, if so sorry, have you unplugged everything then plugged pi in then reboot dvr?

14. Ronman

Ronman Cool Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Maybe I didnt do them in the right order, but everything was disconnected and restarted/redone several times. I was using an inline sat finder to test connectivity so I can rule out bad cable. (that and everything works now that the old setup is back on).

The only thing I dont think I did was the min 15' run from the lnb.

15. Ronman

Ronman Cool Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Here's where I now get really get confused. Following the link above I find this picture attached and labeled as SWM.jpg which I believe is closest to my setup; minus the SWM1 since my SWM is built into the LNB. I've drawn a red line to show what I assume is the correct connection from the PI to the LNB SWM based on this set up. And x'd out the SWM1.

Next is the pic supplied by RobertE. His shows the LNB going straight to the splitter at the "In" terminal and out going to the PI.

Two different approaches. Am I missing something somewhere?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• swm.JPG
      swm.JPG
      File size:
      35.8 KB
      Views:
  16. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Both of those are acceptable ways to do it. I currently have my SWM setup like your second picture (except I use an 8 way splitter instead of 2 way.
    You have to make sure that you plug in the SWM power inserter before you hook up and plug in your 2 receivers.

17. Ronman

Ronman Cool Member

Jan 4, 2010
    When I do finally get it right... Will it automatically make the configuration changes or do I have to sit and wait for the setup to get to the searching for sat page then enter the menu change to swm and then try all over again?

18. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    IT SHOULD automatically recognize the SWM and configure itself. when I did what you are doing, I didnt have to change anything on the dvr's or receivers.

Try using a longer cable between the PI and LNB.

19. Ronman

Ronman Cool Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Maybe the type of dish I have will be of help. It is a AT9

20. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    thought at9 did not correctly accept swm lnb, maybe I am wrong.