1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Searching for signal?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lgb0250, Jul 22, 2013.

1. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Is this something new or have I just missed it in the past? During a storm a few minutes ago I lost all my stations and received the inevitable 771 error code. When I switched to one of my OTA channels the below message popped up on the screen even though I could see what was on that channel perfectly! Just weird IMO. Wouldn't have bothered me that much except it stayed on the screen until the storm passed!

Searching for signal on the off-air tuner ...(792)
    Receiver: xxxxxxxxxxx
    Card: xxxxxxxxxx

2. jimmerz

jimmerz AllStar

Jan 25, 2010
    Anytime I get a storm (big or small) I get that stupid searching for signal message!

It's a bit annoying especially when it is just a small cloudy rain shower. I am not sure HOW DirecTv can claim a 99% signal rate? I know it isn't 99% in my house.

I haven't noticed that the message stayed on because I usually flip to my DVR for a while and watch something I recorded....

3. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Jimmerz, if you lose signal that often your dish is probably not aligned properly, or something else is wrong with your system. Small rain showers shouldn't be noticeable, let alone cause a searching for signal message.

1 person likes this.
  4. jimmerz

jimmerz AllStar

Jan 25, 2010
    Is this something DirecTv will correct or will I need to align it myself/pay someone to do that?

5. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    DirecTV can send a tech out to checks things out for you. free if you have the protection plan, otherwise $50.00

6. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    I get the occasional 771 code when a storm is in the area and the screen will freeze up until the storm passes but in this case it was the 792 (OTA) code and the show played on in the background with the annoying code still up on the screen!