1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Season Pass for 721?

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by leyth, Nov 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leyth

leyth New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Hi There,

Please forgive me if this issue has been addressed before. I did a quick search and I couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

Is there a reason Echostar doesn't implement "Season Pass"-like functionality for the 721? Or is it in the works? I know that Directivo and Ultimate PVRs already have it so I am wondering why dish doesn't offer it even for an additional fee.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Leyth

2. Halfsek

Halfsek Hall Of Fame

Oct 29, 2002
    I asked the same question and it seems like the answer is that there is no SP available. I realize now how cool that feature was since I don't have it now.
    As for why they didn't do it, I have no idea.

3. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    What is it, for those of us who never used Tivo?

4. DmitriA

DmitriA Legend

Aug 5, 2002
    I really don't know, but I am guessing that there are some patent issues with just copying that feature. But then UTV has it and I don't know if they paid anything to Tivo for the right to use it, so maybe I'm totally wrong on this

5. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    What it is (at least on Ultimatetv) is the ability to "Series Record" programs and tell it not to record repeats. In addition, UTV (and Tivo) have the ability to search and automatically record programs when they come on regardless of what channel they are on. An example is setting an "Auto Record" for Friends. It will record it on TBS, NBC, and our local independent station that shows it no matter what time or what day it is on.

I have "Auto Records" set for movies I like and when they are on, the UTV just records it without intervention. I set an Auto Record for "Back to the Future" and it recorded it about a month later (the next showing) on TMC. It is a very valuable feature.

6. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    Ah. I had that with ReplayTV, although they called them "theme channels". It couldn't skip reruns, though. It just comes back to the 721 doing time-based recording instead of show-based.

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.