1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Season Pass..Is there a way to do this?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by RonH, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Aug 3, 2010 #1 of 17
    RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    If there is a show that has several other times that it is shown other than it's "Main" time,can you get a Season Pass for alternate time slot? At the moment I have 3 shows that I want to have Season Pass that are on Sunday at 9pm,"The Wire" on 101,"Leverage" on TNT and "Rubicon" on AMC. All 3 have alternate slots and I'd like to set one of those for another time.

Thanks

2. Aug 3, 2010 #2 of 17
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Just setup SL's for all 3. Then in the Series Manager make sure the one you want to record at the alternate time is listed after the other 2. The DVR will take care of the rest.

3. Aug 3, 2010 #3 of 17
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    You could also setup a repeating manual recording for the time slot you want. The problem with this is that if a showing is canceled the system won't pick up the alternate showing.

The ultimate solution is to add another DVR to your setup.:)

4. Aug 3, 2010 #4 of 17
    Starchy77

Starchy77 Godfather

Jul 18, 2008
    Are you sure this will work? I know I wouldn't trust it, I would set up a manual recording for 1 of the 3 that I wanted to record in another time slot.

5. Aug 3, 2010 #5 of 17
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    If you setup all three and the times conflict, the one with the lower priority automatically will shift to the alternate time slot.

It's a pretty handy thing. I make use of it all the time. :)

I would suggest you decide which you'd rather have shift and place that lower in the list than the other two.

Mike

6. Aug 3, 2010 #6 of 17
    RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    I have set up the 3 with "The Wire" being listed last. But when I go to "To Do List" It only shows the First 2 having recording coming up not "The Wire".

7. Aug 3, 2010 #7 of 17
    BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    sometimes you have to give the todo list time to update. I would check it in the guide the day of, and make sure it works. I have had success with this approach many times. but on occasion the guide data is not right and something won't record. typically, rearranging the programs that have later showings has fixed it though...

set it up and monitor to make sure it's doing what you want.

8. Aug 3, 2010 #8 of 17
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    You could try reordering the list with one of the other three shows lower in priority and see how that works.

However, I’d give it some time and see if it shows up.

Do you have another DVR that you can record the one episode of “The Wire”? That way you could let this experiment run its course and not have to worry about missing it.

If not, try to let it go as long as you can. It’s been my experience that it doesn’t always show up on an alternate time slot until it gets close to the first time slot. A little odd, I know. :shrug:

Like I said, I do this all the time and have never missed a recording...unless it was my fault to begin with, but otherwise it has worked like it’s supposed to. :grin:

Mike

9. Aug 3, 2010 #9 of 17
    DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I will add my voice to Mike's. Mine has always reliably recorded the alternate showing. The scheduling task is a back ground task, and particularly for shows when they are initially set up it doesn't always show up in the ToDo list as early as I would like.

10. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    I'm positive. If you set a recording to a lower priority than 2 others at the same time it will record the third at an alternate time if available. That's what a DVR does and it's the reason you prioritize your series links.

11. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    So have mine.

12. ssandhoops

ssandhoops AllStar

Dec 2, 2007
    I'll second that, it definitely works. I always schedule shows that have multiple showings low on the priority list for that very reason. I've never missed one of those shows when there was a conflict.

13. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Back when I only had 2 DVR's and could only record 4 things at once I would put shows on channels like Discovery, Sci-fi, Food Network, etc, lower in my prioritizer and shows on ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX higher up. This worked great and I never missed an episode of a show that had more than one showing.

14. espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    Unfortunately the conflict resolution doesn't work for shows like NHL On the Fly, which is basically like SportsCenter just for hockey games each night.

The problem is they start broadcasting On The Fly around 9pm central, but the west coast games don't wrap up until around midnight, so I typically want to record the 1am episode.

Manual recording could work for this, but the annoying thing with manual record is it doesn't let you limit the number of recordings it will keep for that timer.

15. herzzreh

herzzreh Cool Member

Sep 1, 2005
    For this to work, do I select "Both" or "First-Run"?

Mods: pls delete my other thread, looks like I finally found one that covers my question.

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Either will work...

17. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Don;t worry about it not being ion the to do list.. It will record when there is no conflict. I do this all the time, as others also do...