1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Season Pass Issue: Boston Legal Not in To-Do List for 30 October 2007

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by HouseBowlrz, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HouseBowlrz

HouseBowlrz Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    Centreville, VA
    Greetings ... tonight's episode of Boston Legal is first run and I have the series to record. However, it had yet to show up in my "To Do" list so I made sure to set it manually.

What I suspect ... this episode was supposed to air last week but ABC pre-empted it for live news coverage of the Southern California fires. The program guide was never updated to reflect it so it recorded.

Since our guides had this airing last week (even though it ultimately did not), it's likely not tagging tonight's as first run even though it really is.

So for those who have a series link to Boston Legal, check your DVRs when you get home.

cheers

2. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    Nice catch! Would've missed it.

Thanks!

3. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Wow.

Thank you!

- Craig

4. Fish Man

Fish Man Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    That's exactly correct.

Your HR20 thinks it recorded that episode last week (when it really recorded the news special about the fires) so it's not going to record it again.

A few days ago, I added tonights episode back in manually.

Thanks for the heads up to make sure my manual addition of tonight's episode "stuck". :)

5. smilller

smilller AllStar

Aug 26, 2007
    I caught the same thing on my local ABC affilliate last night while looking at the "To Do" list. I'm guessing it's because this same episode was to have it's first air date last Tuesday. That air date was thrown out for a news special on the California fires. Thus, when it was put back in the system, it showed it had an original air date of 10/23 and no one caught it.

6. christo76

christo76 Godfather

Sep 12, 2006
    No offense to anyone going through the fires in SoCal, but really I don't care to have a special bulletin preempt my (or any) normal national shows. Then again same goes for Florida hurricanes. Its pretty much a factor for living there...

I have yet to see a national special, bumping all regular programming, for a massive snowstorm in Wisconsin.

Not trying to be callous, but I get all the footage I need from standard news. Same goes for weather bulletins that bust into regular shows.

7. judson_west

judson_west Godfather

Jun 15, 2006
    It's nice to know that we (California) figure so prominetly in the national news. :D

8. Pluvious

Pluvious AllStar

Jun 12, 2007
    Ditto on the thanks for the heads up. I would have missed it as well.

Not sure I like the direction the show is going this year, but I do still like the closing arguments every show, because someone out there is saying what should be said.

9. mocciat

mocciat Icon

Oct 17, 2006
    Weird because one of my HR20's caught it but the other 2 missed it and my R15 missed it. I thought the one that recorded was set to record all episodes but that was not so. All 4 are set to record First Run only.

Wonder why I got lucky and 1 recorded it?

10. pdxguy

pdxguy Mentor

Aug 8, 2007
    So, why did my HR10-250 catch the Boston Legal episode on Season Pass, but not the HR20? Another example of the poor program guide info in the HR20?

11. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    The episode this week was supposed to air last week. It was apparently preempted at the last minute for a 20/20 special on thwe CA fires. If your DVR recorded the episode last week (which wasn't really Boston Legal, but the DVR thought it was) then it would see the same episode this week and think "hey I already got this, no need to record it again".

If your DVR got a guide update last week and knew not to record Boston legal, since it wasn't really on, then it would record the episode this week just fine.

On the very rare occasions that this would happen I recall Tivo's having the exact same problems. I'm all for bashing the HR20 and praising the Tivo, but in this case both need to be bashed. IHMO the system should be smart enough to retroactively figure out this stuff, but that would require sending guide updates for already aired shows which I'm sure D* doesn't do.

12. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    Yes my unit recorded 20/20.

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This was posted in the Recording Alerts forum several days ago as well.

14. dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    I completely agree. While it's bad for those who lost their lives and homes, in the big national picture it really isn't that big of a deal to warrant bumping national primetime shows.

15. jgrade

jgrade Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    I read this thread yesterday, but forgot to set the manual record. Oh well.

However, while I don't think any programming is more or less important than another, preempting any program to show destruction, suffering, and death is so absurd I have no words to describe it. Pandering to the lowest common denominator shows just how low our programming standard have gone.

My prayers go out for the victims of the fires. I don't want to see dead bodies, destroyed homes or devastated victims asked inane questions like" how does it feel to see your family die, your possessions destroyed and whole life turned upside down". But I guess I am in the minority, or this type of programming should not exist. I bet it got great ratings! I remember when 20/20 was worth watching before (you know actual news) before Geraldo decided to take a semi-automatic gun and show how easy it was to convert to fully automatic. He ended the segment by dramatically kneeling next to a flower and blowing it away. That was the last time I watched the show.

16. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
  17. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.