1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Second hard drive failure in 2 months!! WTH?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by jed1154, Nov 27, 2013.

1. jed1154

jed1154 New Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Dude...is there something inherently crappy about the VIP722K? This is the second failure its had in 2 months. Is this some sort of POS or do I need to dump some money on a power conditioner or what?

2. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    I assume this is a replacement receiver. When do you think the last new 722 was produced? There have been 2 generations of Hopper since the 722K was produced. All you are getting are refurbished receivers who knows how much wear is already on "your" 722, seeing DISH owns all leased receivers they will continue to replace them as they fail. It is your responsibility to backup your recordings.

3. mcutler

mcutler Cool Member

Jan 27, 2008
    I am greatly in favor of backing up my recordings, but just how does one do that? I know how to move recordings from my 722 to an external drive, but that drive could fail. I would like my recordings to be in two different places, so if one fails, the other is still good. I know there are highly technical was to copy an external drive, but is there any simple way to "back-up" recordings?

4. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008
    I had a replacement 722K that I used for over two years and a year ago I upgraded and sold it to a buddy and he's been using it ever since and it still is going strong.

5. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    It is possible you just had bad luck with the 2nd 722K.

How about ventilation? Heat kills hard drives. Do you have plenty of space on the sides of the box?

We have lousy power out in the boonies where I live so I have all my DVR's on a UPS.

6. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Godfather

Sep 4, 2005
    My refurb 722 has far outlasted my brand new original 722. Luck of the draw I think.