1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second Home

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jrr4, Apr 4, 2012.

1. jrr4

jrr4 AllStar

Sep 29, 2006
    My folks have a beach house and would very much like to dump Time Warner for Directv, which is what they have at home. In speaking to a representative (I was calling on my own account), she informed me that as they have an existing account, there would be no promotional offers available to them. That seems ridiculous, as this would be essentially a new account transferring from cable.

I'm completely familiar with the complaint that Directv doesn't take care of existing customers (having been one since 1996), but this seems ridiculous.

2. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    opening a new account with some one who has never have DirecTV service will qualify for the new customers promotions. so if your folks service is on your dad's name, opening the account on your mom's name will let you get the free stuff.

3. tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1 Legend

Jan 26, 2009
    If they're not at both houses at the same time, I say put up a dish at the 2nd house and just take the receiver with them when they switch houses. It's more hassle, but if you're as cheap as I am it's well worth it.

4. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    thats incorrect...dependent upon account eligibility there are offers pretty much the same as the national offers available....

5. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    They need to call and speak with the movers department who would let them know what their options are. However a second account is not eligible for the same level of equipment and programming discounts that a new account gets. Just have them call and get the information that they qualify for.

6. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    As stated that depends upon account eligibility...but yes a call is the best bet

7. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    this is why is recommended to get another account under someone else's name.

8. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    They have esentually two (legal) options.

First, if they are "snowbirds" where they split their time between two places, all they need do is call the "mover's connection" the next time they shift to the beach. DirecTV will install a set up that accomodates their current level of service. They need only move their boxes. Then, every time they shift thereafter, they simply call the same "mover's connection" and transfer their service back (and forth, and back and forth) between the two places, informing the CSR that the previous resident has left behind appropriate dishes.

Or second, if they spend weekends and such at the beach, just set up a second account in another name and using the beach's address. If the account is in dad's name, use mom's.

9. flaguy

flaguy AllStar

Apr 10, 2008
    I think that the "mover's connection" is the best option. All that is required is that you bring the receiver(s) back and forth. Each time you switch locations, you can call and have the locals switched as well. We did it for a long time before selling one of the homes. There's no extra charge.