1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Second TV hook up for daughter

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by tomallison24, Dec 26, 2011.

Tags:
  1. tomallison24

tomallison24 AllStar

Dec 10, 2008
    I am a DISH network guy but daughter has Directv. She has a HR20-700(could be HR21 if that matters). It is a HDDVR with 2 tuners. She only has 1 TV hooked up to it now. We just bought her an HDTV for her bedroom. When we went to hook it up we discovered no cable was run into her bedroom(same floor).

I am going to call Directtv tomorrow to see what our options are but didn't want to end up with something(and pricing) we shouldn't have.

Best scenario would be to be able to split off from other Receiver to watch what she has recorded and/or watch one of the 2 tuners. She wouldn't mind having to get another HDDVR for the bedroom for, I believe, $7.00/month.

Any ideas on what is the best path? Should we be paying any installation costs? Any reason to wait on the new receiver out? She has pretty simple requirements. Thanks heaps.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You can run component/audio or HDMI to that room, and use the DVR she has in both rooms (both would show the same program, cant watch two different shows in each room), or add a receiver, or dvr in the second room ($7/mo). Independently, or shared as a whole home system ($3 per month more), or wait until February and pay $99 for the new media center DVR (HR34) with 5 tuners, and put the current DVR in her bedroom to watch shows from it, or the HR34 (again, $7 + $3).

3. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010
  4. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    I very seriously doubt the HR34 will be $99 to existing customers.

5. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    You have 3 options to meet the request.

You could do one of the solutions in this thread to have the HD DVR split to the second HD TV. There are some drawbacks to this and some positives. Since you know the layout of the house you can choose if running a cable from the HD DVR to the other room is an issue or not.

The second option is to get a HD receiver ($99 normal price $49 installatio and $6 a month for mirroring) which will allow her to watch programming independant of the HD DVR.

The third option is to order Whole Home DVR which will allow her to watch what is recorded on another receiver HD or HD DVR in both rooms. Pricing can vary quite a bit based on account so I will just give the regular prices WHDVR $199 (cinema connection kit is included if she has internet so she can have on demand and other services) and the the price for the HD receiver.

Now with all that said I would call DIRECTV and see what they give you for pricing for the second and third option. You can buy some expensive hardware as mentioned above and save a monthly cost but you also give up functionality which may or may not matter depending on if she has guests or not.

6. tomallison24

tomallison24 AllStar

Dec 10, 2008
    Thanks for the input, all. Called Directv today. My daughter wants, at a minimum, another HDDVR for her bedroom. She was quoted $199 plus $49 installation and another $199 for whole house. We talked awhile and rep said she would take $100 off due to good payment history(autopay). That's still $350 total for the wholehouse DVR plus $6 and $3 per month. Seems awfully, awfully steep to me. Is this correct? Is this the best they will do for my daughter or should I fight more? Hate to fake cancellation, but maybe all is fair in love(sat.) and war!

7. Shades228

Mar 18, 2008
    She could save another $100 if she doesn't need more recording capacity and just get a HD receiver.

8. tomallison24

tomallison24 AllStar

Dec 10, 2008
    Does that mean thru whole house she will be able to watch her recorded programs from the hddvr thru the 2nd receiver(hd)?

9. Shades228

Mar 18, 2008
    Yes the HD would be able to see what's on the HD DVR. That's what Whole Home DVR is. If you don't want to watch recorded shows in other rooms you don't need it.

10. tomallison24

tomallison24 AllStar

Dec 10, 2008
    Daughter decided to go with 2nd HDDVR as opposed to whole house. The second call to the CSR got it reduced to $51.?? for the box and free installation. It is adding $6/month to her bill.

Thanks again to everyone for your replies, now I'm going to investigate moving from Dish as I am adding at least one HDTV.

11. Shades228

Mar 18, 2008
    If you're going to move from dish I would go to http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/referral this offer will give you and your daughter another $100 in discounts.

If you do not go through the website or call the specific number it becomes ineligible to be added

12. tomallison24

tomallison24 AllStar

Dec 10, 2008
    Appreciate it.