1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Secondary local digital channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Ice Runner, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1 of 28
    Ice Runner

Ice Runner Legend

Sep 30, 2008
    In most places, we can get up to 3 or 4 sub-channels over the air on some channels. Here in southeastern Virginia, for example, I can get four channels on the ION channel (49.1, 49.2, 49.3, 49.4) and 4 channels on the PBS channel (15.1, 15.2, 15.3 and 15.4) using my antenna. Is there every any hope that we will be able to get those on DirecTV so that we can record programs on DVR?

2. Dec 5, 2008 #2 of 28
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    If you have a HR20 or a AM21 with a HR21/22/23 you can record them using the OTA tuners.

3. Dec 5, 2008 #3 of 28
    arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    My HR20 DVRs have dual OTA tuners built in. If you need an AM21 to add to your OTA-tunerless DVR, call D* and ask for one.

4. Dec 5, 2008 #4 of 28
    Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    As to the original question of whether or not we will ever see them over the satellite, I would guess eventually.

Once the Digital changeover occurs, some channels may be able to be sent over as 480i SD, which is what they already are. Once DirecTV is able to juggle all of the channels around and remove duplicate SD and HD LIL's, it would not surprise me to see them begin to add them in. At least in some of the major markets and with the PBS and networks that use them (ABC NewsNow, NBC Weather+, etc.).

Since DirecTV has the ability to use - channels, I would guess they will just put them in where they would be if you were using OTA.

Just my $.02.

5. Dec 5, 2008 #5 of 28
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    As far as subchannels, never say never, but you can feel comfortable saying "not for a while." It remains to be seen whether subchannels are even a viable revenue stream for broadcasters. Many of them have had a tough go of it. PBS and religious stations in my area have come on strong with subchannels; neither has to worry about economic pressures. In the meantime, Tribune's KTLA and GE's KNBC have had problems sustaining enough revenue to keep their subchannels going.

6. Dec 5, 2008 #6 of 28
    arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    NBC Weather+ is ending soon.

7. Dec 5, 2008 #7 of 28
    miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    I know here in Raleigh during March Madness, the local CBS Station has all the "other" NCAA Tournament games not carried locally on their subchannels. It's wonderful, especially since they are all HD (They also own the Fox station, and use some of their OTA bandwidth to have 4 HD Stations going at one time). That's really one of the only reasons I have a OTA antenna and an AM-21. Basically, I'm seeing for free what I would need to pay for on DirecTV's March Madness package!

8. Dec 5, 2008 #8 of 28
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    There are subchannels in our area here that don't show up in the HR-20's guide or OTA setup, so I can't even tune or record these channels with my HR20. I've contacted D* about this a few months ago, but nothing ever happened to fix the problem.

Who else can we contact to get add these extra OTA channels in our IRD's OTA setup and guide?

9. Dec 5, 2008 #9 of 28
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Normally they get added when the local station supplies the data to Tribune Media Services. The database at http://www.zap2it.com should reflect the same data as Directv receives.

10. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    I hope D* never gets them. The only thing they are good for is messing up the HD PQ.

11. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    some of the subs are national and are the same nation wide.

12. Glen_D

Glen_D Legend

Oct 21, 2006
    I've been wondering about the viability of these sub-channels for a while, too. In my market, CW and ION aren't digital yet. FOX and MY Network don't have sub-channels. A new sub-channel for the ABC affiliate was supposed to launch next week as a .2 Network affiliate, but that's been delayed until spring. And the CBS affiliate's lone sub-channel that mostly showed local weather radar has been down for more than two months, reportedly due to a major equipment failure.

13. GutBomb

GutBomb Godfather

Jun 17, 2004
    They are still there whether directv carries them or not, I don't see why directv not carrying them would improve the situation any.

14. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    If D* doesn't carry them maybe it will decrease the need for local stations to have them.

15. ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv Legend

Feb 11, 2008

I agree. I think that the major promoters of the digital switchover are overselling the existence of these channels. A lot of OTA viewers are going to eventually be disappointed.

16. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Not knowing what channels are not showing it is hard to answer your question. Those channels could be low power channels with a very limited viewing area.

17. Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    WeatherPlus ended on December 1st. Some of the NBC stations' subchannels now airs Weigel Broadcasting's This TV, a channel of old MGM shows and movies including children's programming from Cookie Jar Group (formally DIC Entertainment).

18. kc1ih

kc1ih Legend

May 22, 2004
    Salem, NH
    No it didn't. I'm watching it right now.

19. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    Not true. WeatherPlus is still on here in SoCal.

20. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri