1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

seeking digital SLR camera opinion

Discussion in 'The OT' started by DBSPaul, Nov 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBSPaul

DBSPaul Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 26, 2002
    Totally non-DBS, but I'm a relative novice at photography (at least for what I'm thinking about).

Has anyone here used or bought the new Canon Digital Rebel SLR (EOS-300D)? I've been using an Olympus 3 megapixel digicam for sports photography, but it falls far short of what I need. I'm wondering if the 300D is too "cut down" and I really need the extra $$ for the EOS-10D. I'm shooting basketball games and auto races, and need to upgrade.

I've read the reviews at the usual places, and played a bit with the 300D at the local Circuit City, but it's only confused me more, not made it any clearer.

2. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, I bought it about 2 weeks ago. I am still learning to use it, but so far am very impressed. I had been using a Nikon CoolPix 990, the 3MP swivel camera. I made the switch because the 990 got noisy too fast and I couldn't shoot much over 2 seconds without an unacceptable amount of noise. I have shot up to 30 seconds with the Canon so far with better or similar noise level than the Nikon at 2 seconds. The Canon has a sport mode (although I haven't played with it yet). Also, there is no shutter lag with the Canon as there was with the Nikon. I am donating my time taking some pix at a local charity function on Dec. 3 which (in theory) will be published in a local magazine. I have a site where I have posted a bunch of pix from my Nikon, but haven't posted any Canon pix yet. The Nikon pix are here: http://www.pbase.com/rking401 I hope to post some Canon pix in a few days. By the way, I bought mine at a local camera dealer. Being a small, non chain shop, he was able to match "reputable" internet prices and I got it for $930 (for the kit, including lens). I don't know if you have seen this review yet, http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos300d.asp but it is VERY extensive.

3. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
  4. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
  5. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    That camera is on the Christmas wish list I gave to my wife. I have a collection of EF lenses which should be compatible. I also have an EF mount on my telescope. A friend of mine is a "purist" who claims the digitals are not as good as optical. But even he is excited about seeing the results.

6. DBSPaul

DBSPaul Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 26, 2002
    The second one with the halos around the lights is particularly nice!

RichW: I've been meaning to get back to astronomy, so the EF mount was going to be coming (along with other EF lenses, short-term a *good* telephoto that doesn't cost what the camera does!). The wife just doesn't realize all that yet... :sure:

7. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    That was an interesting night to be out playing with the camera. The two shots were taken from the exact same spot, 180 degrees from eachother. :D

8. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
  9. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    I got its big brother (EOS 10D) about 6 or 7 months ago and they are a BLAST!! It's great to be able to swap lenses back and forth with my conventional SLR. The 10D is very solid, responsive, and just a joy to shoot with. It's definitely worth the extra money. Buy one and you'll never look back!!

10. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Nope, in fact I've only seen a DRebel in a camera shop. But, I've got well over $1000 in Canon 35mm gear, including two bodies (and I sold an older third one I had had recently), four lenses (I sold one I didn't like as well with the body mentioned above), and a Speedlite 420EX flash. I'm extremely happy with the Canon system and Canon's lenses. Since it's part of the same family, and based on reviews at Photo.net; I'd expect it to be top-notch as digital goes. Remember though that 6.3mpixels IS significantly less than 35mm film can resolve. Also remember the sensor is only as big as APS film and therefore your 300mm lens will give you approximately the same picture angle as a 450mm on 35mm. BUT your 22mm will only be as wide as a 33mm on 35mm film...

11. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
  12. MikeSoltis

MikeSoltis Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 1, 2003
  13. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    30 D70s on order. We're guessing 1 or 2 in late March, and the rest start coming in July. Camera distribution is a little strange. Have price on camera, but not lens. It is, indeed, a nice camera

14. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    3 kits and 6 body only D70s in stock. Not sure how many spoken for

15. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I have finally posted a bunch of pix from my Canon DigiRebel here: http://www.pbase.com/rking401/canon_digirebel

I have added a Canon 75-300mm lens. I should have waited until I could do the image stabilized version. All the 300mm shots on the site are hand held.

16. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.