1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self-Install/Coax questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by XRA, Jan 31, 2011.

1. XRA

XRA New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    I am currently thinking about doing a self-install on a SWM-8/MRV. I've found all the equipment I need, the only thing I'm not sure about is how to actually cut and put fasteners on the ends of the cables. I have 4 lines from the dish to go into the SWM, but how do you go about cutting and putting on new fasteners?

I have 1 HR23-700, 1 H24, and 1 H21 that I want to hook up and have MRV, I don't really need internet running, especially since all I have is 1.5 MB DSL. :D

Thanks.

Oops, sorry, found a couple of places I can get metered lengths with fasteners. :p

2. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
  3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
  4. XRA

XRA New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    OK cool, thanks.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Buy extra connectors and practice with a few. Be very careful that you do not have even a single (almost invisible) strand of shield wire shorting to the center conductor. Give the connector a decent tug after you put it on, it should stay on. Make sure the connectors you buy are correct for the coax you buy (for example, quad shield coax may require a different compression connector than regular shield).

6. rayik

rayik AllStar

Mar 30, 2009
    Also, if you buy the coax at home depot, be careful what you get. They have pre-packaged coax that is cheaper than the coax they cut for you. However the pre-packed coax is cooper coated center connector while the cut for you is solid copper. You need solid copper.

7. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    Why do you need Solid copper?? Part of my home system is copper-coated

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    With solid copper, there will be less DC resistance, with the result that there will be less voltage drop in the cable (affecting the multiswitch in the LNB assembly, which uses voltage levels to switch between satellites/polarizations). This is most important with long runs, and for non-SWM installations.

9. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Except for the coax between the power inserter and the LNB/SWiM Module. That does need to be solid copper to carry voltage to the SWiM switch.

10. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    Thank You......the run between the pi and lnb will be old PrimeStar line (in my new house)

11. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Please provide the addresses of the Home Depots that sell solid copper RG6. I would love to be able get it locally, hopefully there is one here!

12. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You won't find SC cable at Home Depot, but, really, it isn't necessary unless you have a very long run. I understand DirecTV's position of "require it for every job so that those few that need it will have it", but in the real world, it's expensive overkill.

Having said that, if I were pre-wiring a house, I would use SC quad shield, because once you put that cable in the wall, it's going to be there for a LONG time, and you never know what you'll want to do with it in the future.

13. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    theres no such thing as directv requiring solid copper rg6.

All new construction homes have copper clad in them, unless someone specified solid copper to the electrician. I have not seen ANY electrician running solid copper line, even though it may only be about $30 more to do so per house......everyones a cheapskate nowadays.

So basically, all directv systems are running on copper clad in new homes. I dont think anyone is going to wrap a new house with solid copper because directv said so, you would have to be a complete idiot to ruin a brand new house like that.

But i guess i have seen these awesome installers here on this board already, so they will probrably chime in now.......im not new to this, just new to post on this site. So far there sure seems to be alot of these big headed guys on here, everything must be perfect and done how he thinks it should be and everything else is a crap install....ya well welcome to the real world......

14. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Where do you get your information?

-Wrong
    -Wrong
    -Correct

Something tells me you put in a lot of the latter :sure:

15. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    No wonder some people are scared of getting a crap install.

16. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Perhaps you should re-read DirecTvs Residential Statement of Work dated 4/2010 and take a look at the approved materials list dated 5/2010.

Any tech, whether he's with an HSP, sub or retailer should have and be familiar with those two documents. If not, they are doing a disservice to those customers who are unfortunate enough to encounter them.

17. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    So what are you suggesting here??

Prove im wrong then!!?? I dare you to find a new house with solid copper rg6

Been there done that! I have been a project manager of construction for the last 10 years, there are NO homes built with solid copper wire

I never said i dont use solid copper, because i do, i use vextra cable which outperforms the perfect vision cable direct requires, i also do wild blue installs so the vextra is dual purpose to me.

But, every new home ALL directv installers use the existing in wall copper clad cable.......end of story!!!

18. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Yeah, and putting holes in brand new roofs in insane too! I mean it's brand new and

19. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    RobertE,

I found a link to the 2006 doc. Can't find the 2010 one...Got a link?

I think you are right...every tech should see it. The HSPs seem to hide it and make up their own local job description.

Joe

20. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Not an installer, but I thought I read that the solid copper is to be used from the dish to inside the house to the SWM8/SWM splitter. Once inside the house, copper clad is fine at that point.

Is that correct?

- Merg