1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self Install turned Pro

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by marker101, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 7, 2007 #1 of 11
    marker101

marker101 Legend

Nov 6, 2007
    I'm a person who likes to install everything myself. I ordered a Slimline dish ($90) and ran all of my cabling so that I could just get DirecTV up and going. I was at the part where I just needed to get a receiver and sign up for service.

So, I go to my local Circuit City and try to get a receiver there, but I ended up not getting that and (long story short) signing up for DirecTV on the phone there in the store (call me an ass) (wasn't even in the market for a new TV for the $300 deal).

Now the fun part (if you're still not laughing from above):
    I was able to sign up for a package that I was browsing online at the same price so all was well. I'm just getting one HD receiver (no DVR), which will equate to being no cost. Additionally, the CSR on the phone kind of scolded me for getting my own dish, because one would be provided when the installer comes. He advised me to "return the one you bought"..go buy something else.

Kept insisting that I need not have an installer, because everything is all set up...but I lost that war.

Besides everything, did I do something out of the normal? I had Echostar a few years ago, and was able to do everything myself....why is DirecTV so difficult for the self-installer?

Also, would it be asking too much for the installer to use the dish that I purchased and already have aligned, and to just give me the dish he's bringing, so I can sell it off?

I'm not getting the install until next weekend, so if I royally screwed up and there is a better way, I still have time to make the necessary arrangements.

I'm not usually dumb with this stuff, but I think this time I've smashed that record.

2. Dec 7, 2007 #2 of 11
    rrcrosby

rrcrosby Mentor

Dec 17, 2006
    Be very nice to the installer and just ask. Good things happen to those that are nice.
    Seriously

3. Dec 7, 2007 #3 of 11
    techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    He will be happy that the dish is up and will probably leave the dish he brings. Sometimes the installers prep the dish at the shop, before bringing them to the job so, it might not be in the box.

4. Dec 7, 2007 #4 of 11
    248 F1

248 F1 Legend

Sep 22, 2007
    Odd, ......there's no rule against you doing it yourself.

5. Dec 8, 2007 #5 of 11
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Nowadays DirecTV wants installers to do any new install. Reasoning is that they can make sure it's "correct" and there won't be any more calls to support about it.

That reasoning is a good one at face value as 99% of people will do just that, they don't want anything to do with installing it themselves. So when a CSR comes across someone that wants to do it themselves they don't know what to do because it's off their "script". Of course we all know installers mess things up a lot but we won't go there.

Anyway, just have the installer come by and put the receiver in and activate it. Show him all the work you've done already and by all means take the free dish and keep it for a spare. If the installer insists on putting up "his" dish I'd take down yours and put it away and let him put it up. Once he leaves if you are satisfied with his install you're good to go. Or you can tweak it or put your dish back up. Either way you get a spare dish. :D

When I got my MPEG4 upgrade I already had the receiver installed (being that I purchased it already) and just needed him to put the dish up and the new switch. After I showed him my work, including cables properly grounded he was more then happy to give me the switch to install while he put up the dish. He came in to make sure the receiver got the new sats and signed all the paperwork. He was happy that I did half his work for him he made me several custom length cables while we shot the breeze outside in the nice weather (I was the last install of the day). I gave him a $10 to go get some beer and sent him on his way.

6. Dec 8, 2007 #6 of 11
    glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    I bought my own dish and HR20 and did it all myself.

It was more expensive going that route, but I didn't have to wait around for the install date, wait around that day for the installer to show up, and possibly have conflicts with how the installer was doing the job.

7. Dec 9, 2007 #7 of 11
    redwoode

redwoode AllStar

Oct 16, 2007
    Bought my slimline, multiswitch two HR21 and one H20 online and installed myself. Just called for activation of new and deactivation of old SD receivers. No problem with CSR's.

8. Dec 9, 2007 #8 of 11
    marker101

marker101 Legend

Nov 6, 2007
    Thanks for everyone's help. I was able to finish the installation being self-install. For some reason, the original CSR was hell bent on the pro install. Got a leased receiver at local retail, and was able to activate immediately.

Gotta love the HD! And locals coming next!

9. Dec 9, 2007 #9 of 11
    marker101

marker101 Legend

Nov 6, 2007
    Next encounter:

I originally set up my 5lnb slimline using a 3lnb optimized receiver. Now that I have a proper HD receiver, I can properly see things correct. My 101 and 110's are upper 90's, and my 103 is in the mid 80's. Going to do some fine tuning next weekend to get 103 in shape, but I have an issue with my 119. Other than a 67 reading on TP22, I have no signal. I think this might be neighbor tree related.

What is the best way to determine what tree might be in the way? If I'm going to kindly ask a tree be trimmed/removed, I only want it to be one! 119 is gathered on which side of the dish (if you are behind it) the left side, correct?

Other than a few channels, and the minor fine tuning, looks like all is well.

10. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    Looking from the behind the dish, the 119 comes from ~20 degrees to the right of center axis, strikes the dish, and is then reflected into the LNB section on the far left. It also comes from an angle about 20+ degrees above the horizontal plane of the tilted dish, since the LNB is placed below center-line.

11. slimline

slimline Legend

Oct 29, 2007
    any (homeowner) doing there own install i run into this from time to time when i am sent to a customers house i just inspect the job and finish paperwork
    have them sign a release form saying they completed the install themselves
    and it is up to code give them the xtra dish switch what ever is on the work order. done .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.