1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self Installation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Dvrbuddy, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Dvrbuddy

Dvrbuddy New Member

Sep 24, 2013
    I know this is probably a very basic question, but I have been scouring the internet to figure it out and I am getting a bit overwhelmed.

I wan't to install a dish myself. On my Condo Balcony.

I have two Hr24-500 DVR boxes and will likely add a 3rd HD non dvr receiver.

What direct tv equipment do I need to buy online?

and if someone knows a good installation tutorial video for mounting the dish please let me know.

I am in the greater los angeles market, and have a clear view to point my dish in the correct direction.

Thanks everyone for your time.

2. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    you will need either a SWM 3 or 5 LNB with a SLimline dish, a balcony mount, a PI 21v, a 4 way splitter, some coax and fittings

3. Dvrbuddy

Dvrbuddy New Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Thanks. can I post a link to what I was going to buy on ebay?

4. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    That covers the dish, Power Inserter and 4-way splitter. You still need the rest of the stuff that peds48 mentioned.

5. Dvrbuddy

Dvrbuddy New Member

Sep 24, 2013
    So basically the balcony mount, coax cable, and fittings is all I would need?

Also is there any difference in different branded power inserters, splitters, or lnb's as far as quality that I should no about?

6. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Given the costs involved with doing this yourself, is there a reason why you don't want DirecTV to do the install?

7. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yes so we dont wind up in the Shame Thread

8. Dvrbuddy

Dvrbuddy New Member

Sep 24, 2013
    My dish fell off my roof and broke, I don't have the protection plan so they want to charge me a lot to come set up a new one.

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Who installed that dish? If DirecTV did, I'd be very insistent that they come and fix it for free. Any damages when it came off the roof?

10. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I have yet to see a dish to "fall off the roof" by itself. tell us what exactly happened?