1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selling DVR You Don't Really Own...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by keithw1975, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1 of 55
    keithw1975

keithw1975 Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    Missouri
    From what I have read here my DVR that I bought at BB isn't actually mine since I only paid $299 for it back in 2006. Could someone tell me then how they have any control over what I do with it? Until I hook it up and register it with them they don't know who I am or that I even have it. When I bought it I paid cash and didn't have to sign any kind of agreement.

Just curious.

2. Oct 3, 2011 #2 of 55
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    So am I understanding you purchased (likely leased) a receiver 5 years ago and never activated it on your account? Can you lend me $300? :) :)

At some point someone will activate the unit. DIRECTV will know it was a lease and if it is not transferred correctly from person to person (ie sent back to DIRECTV first), then the person who does activate it will have to send it back to DIRECTV and be after the person who illegally sold them what has become stolen goods.

So it just sounds like a bad situation.

I think 2006 was the magic year. If you purchased the unit very early in 2006, it might be owned. Otherwise it is leased, owned by DIRECTV, and you really don't want to mess with it. Send it back to DIRECTV and avoid all the legal hassles.

Cheers,
    Tom

3. Oct 3, 2011 #3 of 55
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Im not even sure about that Tom. I bought the first HR20-700 that Best Buy put on their shelf. Cost me $299 also. And no sweet talking would get DirecTv to list it as owned, even though at that time, I never had to sign a contract, or anything. The only thing Best Buy told me was that it could not be returned to them once it was activated.

Dont know. I used it until this past January, and then sent all my leased boxes back to them when I snagged my owned HR24.

4. Oct 3, 2011 #4 of 55
    kcaudiofx

kcaudiofx Legend

Dec 26, 2009
    If I am reading this correctly, then they (D*) doesnt know who has it, Yes, you could sell it, not like you would get a whole lot out of it, but whoever buys it, it just might be considered leased on their account..

BTW: You enjoyin the new locals up there? :)

5. Oct 3, 2011 #5 of 55
    Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes, all the HR2x are leased. Based on the first post, I suspected it was a receiver that has never been activated and also not on his list--even though that doesn't make much sense.

Any receiver that has been activated DIRECTV knows about, who had it, etc. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

6. Oct 3, 2011 #6 of 55
    allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    I have an HR21-700 which I activated 2 plus years ago. I recevied it from D*. Recently, D* replaced a failed 3 year old HR21-200. D* sent 2 replacement HR22-100 DVR's and one return box. I called them and D* informed me not to return the second DVR, because I owned the broken one and the HR21-700, so may I sell them? Do you own the DVR's after the 2 year contract?

7. Oct 3, 2011 #7 of 55
    Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Nope, after the contract is over DIRECTV still owns them (if they were leased.) I would double check with DIRECTV to verify they are owned.

Cheers,
    Tom

8. Oct 3, 2011 #8 of 55
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    From the beginning of the HR20, they were all leased. The H20s did come out before the lease model was started [march/may 2006].
    If someone got a HR20 at Bestbuy, and never activated it, it could be "resold" with it's new/never used access card. This "second buyer" would be activating a leased receiver for the first time.

"Now" if this HR20 has been activated, it's listed as a leased DVR, needs to be returned or the account holder will be charged a "non returned equipment" fee [about $250] AND if sold to someone else, that person won't be able to get it activated, so what they "bought" is a doorstop.

9. Oct 3, 2011 #9 of 55
    mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    I'm in the same boat as allenn. About 3 years ago, I bought an SD DVR through Directv.com (I think I paid $99 for it). They sent me an R22 for self install and I set it up and activated it. 3 months ago, I called to deactivate the receiver expecting them to send me a return box. The CSR told me that I now owned this receiver and that I didn't have to return it to them.

Do I now own this R22? Can I sell it? Or is there a number at Directv that I can call to confirm who owns it?

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If they say you own it, you own it. You can also call anonymously and say you are planning to buy it and you would like to check the receiver ID to see if it is owned.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If you own the R22, it's a good one to have, it's the most valuable SD box out there and has the most resale potential for people that know it's full potential.

12. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    That's pretty much what I had gathered from random posts around here, dpeters. Posts like "you want an R22, but you aren't going to get an R22" or "no one has R22's anymore" led me to think I had something of value. When the CSR told me it was mine, I did a spit take.

I definitely need to confirm that I own it.

13. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    You can't believe anything they "say". They confirmed via phone and email that I owned my box, but changed their story when I canceled, and proceeded to charge me several hundred dollars for failure to return. I highly recommend you try your utmost to send the box back to them. If you bought it new for $299, you definitely don't own it.

14. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Understood and I apologize for your bad circumstances. I mean, call and say something like "I want to buy a DVR. Here is the Receiver ID. Could you confirm in your computer that it's owned?"

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'd go the route that Stuart recommended, but I would only talk to the Access Card department. Don't ask a first level CSR.

Basically, the benefit of the R22 is that it essentially is an HR21 with HD disabled. If it's added to an account that already has HD, then the R22 can get HD. If the account already has an HD DVR and at least one other HD receiver/DVR, then the R22 can participate in MRV.

The downside, other than those mimimums, is that if the unit goes bad and needs replaced, it's still an SD box to DirecTV and may be replaced with an R16 which can't do HD at all.

16. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The key here is contacting the access card group. They're the only ones that "know".

17. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Partly yes, partly no. Some of us owned our HR10-250s and participated in a swap program where we received an HR20 which is owned and we were allowed to keep the HR10. They appear on your account as "additional receiver". I believe those receivers can be sold and then activated as owned by the buyer.

And, as veryoldschool points out, the only place for absolutely true information is the access card group.

18. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Sorry Tom, but if you buy an HR2X from a Directv Employee or a Directv Retailer who no longer needs that Demo Box then you can buy that "OWNED" HR2X DVR from that person/company but make sure that the Directv Access Dept. Flags your HR2X as "OWNED"!!! :)

19. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. All HR2x from BB are leased unless you paid DIRECTV the upgrade to owned fee or... or...

Cheers,
    Tom

20. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    My memory isn't what it used to be, but I seem to remember that if you bought a receiver from BB (or other retailers), you got a very long receipt/printout that stated that it was a leased unit and that you had 30 days to activate it or you would be charged for the full value. No?