1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selling Old TiVos...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by erosroadie, Jan 7, 2010.

1. erosroadie

erosroadie Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    I will be replacing my HR10-250 with an HR2X box in the near future. I also have an old R10 that has been deactivated for about two years. These TiVo boxes work great and have been rock solid. I am simply transitioning to MPEG4 HD boxes for my last line.

As they both work fine, I thought I would sell these as SD DVRs through Craigslist, EBay, etc. My question is, should I remove the access cards before selling them? I seem to recall that personal information on my account may be on an access card and that I should not sell it with the unit. The new owner would then have to purchase a new access card from D* and activate.

Comments?

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If you can find someone who wants them, I would definitely remove the access cards.

3. Tim Godsil

Tim Godsil Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    Dont know if this has changed.

You have to talk to the right people in the card department. I used to be able to buy a used receiver, and stick my card in it, and have programming.

Its called marrying and divorcing a card, I dont know if Directv still does it.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Very rarely.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    While that might still be true, he still should remove his access card prior to selling the receivers to someone else.

@erosroadie

Contact the Access Card Team of DirecTV to see if they want the access cards back. If not, they'll usually just request that you shred them.

- Merg

6. erosroadie

erosroadie Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Merg, et al:

Many thanks for your thoughts/comments. I'll contact D* first before placing these on the open market...:rolleyes:

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    While the receiver may be owned, all Access Cards are property of DirecTV and should not be sold. DirecTV will want them returned or destroyed.

8. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Found that out when I tried to sell an old H20 on E-Bay with the access card. DirecTV had the listing removed and when I asked why was told:

The problem with the auction was that it contained an access card which remains the property of DIRECTV. If you relist the auction without the access card no further action will be taken against it.

If you are in possession of any DIRECTV Access Cards, please return them to the following address:

DIRECTV, Inc.
    Attention: The Office of Signal Integrity
    P.O. Box 1080
    El Segundo, CA 90245

Many thanks for your cooperation.

Investigations and Compliance