1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sending Video between HR20's

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by 2k1gixxer, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2k1gixxer

2k1gixxer New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Does anyone know if it's possible to network the HR20's and send a recorded show from one HR20 to another HR20 across the network?

I believe this is something Tivo's have been able to do for a while.

I've been reading about media sharing, but that's more for picture/music/video from PC to HR20.

I'd love to be able to watch a show recorded downstairs on my upstairs TV between the two HR20's.

Thanks!!

2. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Not yet. It is called MRV, multi-room-viewing. Yes a lot of us are patiently waiting for this very cool feature.

3. 2k1gixxer

2k1gixxer New Member

Feb 13, 2008

Thanks Spanky. Does anyone have ANY idea when this feature would be available?

4. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    SOON!!!!!

If that word hasnt become one of my favorites to never hear again I dont know of another one....seriously, lets get all the little bugs, kinks, glitches, or whatever techno term can be applied here fixed for EVERYONE (luckily I havent had problems) before we aks for more please.....:)

5. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    [​IMG]

6. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    M :D R :D V

7. Sammy2368

Sammy2368 AllStar

Jul 12, 2006
    Will this allow us to transfer recorded programs to a PC on the same network?

8. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    doubt it.. but there is another peice for playing content on a PC (no transfer tho) being worked on

9. frederic1943

frederic1943 Icon

Dec 1, 2006
    It's not MRV. MRV is the ability of one receiver with two tuners to send different stations to two TVs. What you are asking is sending a recorded program from one HR20 to another one. That cannot be done. Each recorder's recordings can only be accessed by itself and no others. That's because of the FCC rule that's being contested now. The Demodulator Compliance Requirements are still required to be built into everything built since 2005. They will allow any device not in compliance to be disabled if the rule is upheld.

Officially called "Digital Broadcast Television Redistribution Control," the FCC's rule is in 47 CFR 73.9002(b) and the following sections, stating in part: "No party shall sell or distribute in interstate commerce a Covered Demodulator Product that does not comply with the Demodulator Compliance Requirements and Demodulator Robustness Requirements." According to the rule, hardware must "actively thwart" piracy.
    The rule's Demodulator Compliance Requirements insists that all HDTV demodulators must "listen" for a broadcast flag (or assume it to be present in all signals). Flagged content must be output only to "protected outputs" (such as DVI and HDMI ports with HDCP encryption), or in degraded form through analog outputs or digital outputs with visual resolution of 720x480 pixels (EDTV) or less. Flagged content may be recorded only by "authorized" methods, which include tethering of recordings to a single device.
    A broadcast flag is a set of status bits (or a "flag") sent in the data stream of a digital television program that indicates whether or not the data stream can be recorded, or if there are any restrictions on recorded content. Possible restrictions include the inability to save an unencrypted digital program to a hard disk or other non-volatile storage, inability to make secondary copies of recorded content (in order to share or archive), forceful reduction of quality when recording (such as reducing high-definition video to the resolution of standard TVs).
    In the United States, new television receivers using the ATSC standard were supposed to incorporate this functionality by July 1, 2005, but a federal court struck down the Federal Communications Commission's rule to this effect on May 6, 2005. The stated intention of the broadcast flag was to prevent copyright infringement, but many have asserted that broadcast flags interfere with the fair use rights of the viewing public.
    It is possible that a higher court may overturn this ruling, or the United States Congress may grant such authority to the FCC. Some of the major U.S. television networks have stated in the past that they will stop broadcasting high-definition content if the rule does not go into effect.

10. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Sorry to contradict but it HAS been anounced ( and actualy seen by a few) to be a coming feature for the HR2x series boxes.. it is expected to be capable of playing any recording from any reciever on any other in the same house/account..
    also why would you need to watch a live tuner from another box? it already has 2..

11. frederic1943

frederic1943 Icon

Dec 1, 2006
    If the FCC rule goes through any receiver capable of sending full HD (720p or1080i) to copy on another will be unable to record HD. Why would they want to make a receiver without the Demodulator Compliance Requirement that would be useless in that case?

To watch programs on two TVs in two different rooms. Multi-Room Viewing

12. bhelton71

bhelton71 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

Mar 7, 2007

13. frederic1943

frederic1943 Icon

Dec 1, 2006
    With long cables you can watch in two rooms but only what the receiver in the first room is tuned to. With Multi Room Viewing you can watch say channel 244 on tuner one in one room and channel 325 on tuner two in another room. Dish Network already has this ability in some of their receivers http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/our_products/dvr_receivers/index.shtml#

14. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    can do that now.. got an HR in the bedroom and 2 in the living room (and soon to be one upstairs)...
    MRV would be for recorded (not live) material only.. Recorded on box#1 and played on box#2... for example playing the 60+ episodes of "how it's made" recorded on my bedroom reciever in my living room...
    And the current TIVO alows transfer (unfortunately you have to copy the whole stupid file to the other TIVO) right now..

15. 2k1gixxer

2k1gixxer New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Thanks houskamp.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about doing. Something that the TIVO already allows.

Did you say that this feature will be coming and is already in testing?
    If so, I'm all fired up. I feel like I've been waiting for this forever.

Thanks!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.