1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Separate Locals Charge in the Future?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DirectMan, Mar 19, 2010.

1. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    I was thinking about the recent agreement by one of the cable operators to pay for carriage of the local ABC station in NY, and agreements with Fox to pay for their locals. In the past the nets would be able to get their new cable channels up on the cable or satellite as compensation for their locals signals, but as they ran out of new channels to develop they decided hard cash is not a bad alternative. I think the law also changed to allow this practice.

If this trend continues and the price keeps rising (I read that they agreed to pay Fox around 50c per month per subscriber) then I think it is likely that cable and satellite companies will have a separate line item charge for locals - say $5 per month initially.

I personally would not have a problem with that as I have and would go OTA for my locals. With the digital signal being so clear this is not really a problem for many subscribers. If enough people starting doing that it would act as a brake on the locals demands from the cable and satellite companies. It would be preferable than burying the charge in the package price.

2. Villager

Villager Legend

Feb 8, 2007
    Better yet-- have the locals pay DirecTV to run a screensaver on the proper channel inviting the viewer to pay an extra fee to receive that local channel. If the viewer does subscribe, then the local gets paid. Just like any other PPV channel.

3. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    It was, for quite some time, an additional charge for locals. I never subscribed to them when they became available as I had good
    OTA reception. After hurricane Wilma removed my antenna I had them turned on. You can still opt out for a $3.00 monthly savings if you wish.

4. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    Does D* have an place on their web site to do this or is it a call CSR option?

It also seems D* is going the de-bundling route to be able to promote low monthly prices - no more DVR bundled in package, separate MRV charge, etc.

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I think you may need to call, some mentioned here that all CSR's are not aware that this can be done.

6. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I'm really glad the OP brought this up. Turning of locals will be the perfect way for me to break even if I turn on MRV.

7. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    If locals are available in your area I beleive they are required to give them to you. If you live in an area where locals are not available, then they will subtract $3 from your bill. Thought it had something to do with the local carriage requirements.

8. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    Oh please let them do this...right after I finish installing the rooftop antenna I'm planning on putting up sometime in the next month or two :)