1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sequential recording question

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by PhantomOG, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 4, 2007 #1 of 19
    PhantomOG

PhantomOG Legend

Feb 7, 2007
    Is the 622 smart enough to not tie up both tuners for sequential recordings on the same channel if the timer have a few minutes of extension?

2. Sep 4, 2007 #2 of 19
    Paradox-sj

Paradox-sj AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 15, 2004
    Hum....I dont know what you mean but I will tell you what the 622 does do.

If you are recording to show that play back to back on the same channel the 622 will
    A. Use the same tunner to record them
    B. There will usually be overlap between the first show and the second. i.e. the ending of the first will be on the begining of the second.

There is no way around this...AND it is not what the 622 originally did...they "FIXED" it to do this.....:nono2:

3. Sep 4, 2007 #3 of 19
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    So you are saying that the same tuner is simultaneously recording the end of the first show and the start of the second show?

I don't think so.:nono2:

4. Sep 4, 2007 #4 of 19
    PhantomOG

PhantomOG Legend

Feb 7, 2007
    What I mean is, if you have timers set for 2 sequential shows on the same channel, each with begining/end extension time, will the 622 use both turners instead of 1? I believe it uses both based on what I've seen which is inefficient.

It should be possible in such a case to just use one timer. Just have that one tuner continuously record and then setup the software to have each recording "share" the overlapping recording for the extended minutes.

5. Sep 4, 2007 #5 of 19
    ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    I think if you have the default start early and default end late times it will use a single tuner. If you have changed to different start early and/or end late times it will use two timers. At least that is how I think it works now.

6. Sep 4, 2007 #6 of 19
    Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    Only one way to find out. ;)

7. Sep 4, 2007 #7 of 19
    PhantomOG

PhantomOG Legend

Feb 7, 2007
    Hmm... I've changed mine so many times now trying to reduce conflicts I forgot what the default is. I know there is a way to make the current setting the new "default" however, I don't remember there being an option to reset a timer to the standard "default." I'm pretty sure the default default :sure: was >0 minutes.

8. Sep 4, 2007 #8 of 19
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I believe the default is start 1 min early, end 3 mins late. The start early time seems to be the key.. If you change it to 1 or 0, the back-to-back seems to be fine.. but even changing the start early to 2 mins and it tries to use different tuners and will refuse to combine them.

FYI.. you can leave your default early/late whatever you want... the key to working around this is to manually change the start time of the second back-to-back timer to 1 or 0 when you define it and it will combine those fine, while leaving your preferred default alone.

9. Sep 5, 2007 #9 of 19
    n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    If your right I'll have to try that as I would prefer back to back recordings to use both tuners.

10. davethestalker

davethestalker Godfather

Sep 16, 2006
    I have wondered about this myself. So, I just told my 722 to record 4 programs (2 sequential on each tuner). It does have both sequential timers on their respective tuner; Good Eats then Unwrapped (Tuner 1) and Whatever then What's Next (Tuner 2) on channel "???". ;)

11. Paradox-sj

Dec 15, 2004
    You dont have to think so...but it happens every week at my house

I record The 4400 and The Dead Zone back to back...with a start/begin padding of 1min as system default....

And every week the end of the 4400 is on the begining of the Dead Zone...without fail.

12. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    If you see the same footage at the end of the first timer as is present on the beginning of the second timer than two tuners were involved. Pure and simple.

13. PhantomOG

PhantomOG Legend

Feb 7, 2007
    I agree based on what I've seen. However, shouldn't it be possible in software to make it so only one tuner is needed? All you need to do is "share" that same footage between the two recordings. This would be the ideal solution in my opinion.

14. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    As described, you can make it use a single tuner. However, the overlap time period will appear in only one of the recordings, not both recordings. Not to say it could not be done the way you describe, but that's not what it does now.

15. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    If you stick with the default pad it does what you say and actully uses one tuner with no overlap.

If you increase the pad it will use both tuners.

16. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    Mine does the exact same thing with those shows. I have to remember to watch the 4400 first.

17. Paradox-sj

Dec 15, 2004
    When did I ever say anything about the same foottage.....Just the ENDING of the first show is at the start of the second.....i.e 1 tuner is being used.

18. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    But that one tuner is not creating two different recordings simultaneously, which is what the OP meant when he said "I don't think so."

-Chris

19. kktk

kktk Mentor

Jul 6, 2007
    not to sway the topic away from its original intent...but I landed up running into something like this and wondered what the dvr does in a sequential recording scenario.

Last night on MNF two games were going back to back.
    I set the tuner 1 to record the event.

I watched it when i got home, but the recording stopped before the game ended?
    So i missed the last 2 minutes of game 1....any way to avoid this?---and continure to sequentially record the next event?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.