1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Series just stopped recording. Plus other symptoms.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Todd2, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Todd2

Todd2 Cool Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I have experienced a couple series episodes that just shut off recently on my hr34. Out of the blue, it just stopped recording. I noticed it on one about 15 minutes after it stopped and restarted the recording. I noticed another thread about this and I think a reset was recommended.

But my problem I found tonight is a little different and I wanted to post about it. I have been recording 'rookie blue' on my hr34 for a couple years. Everything worked fine. But I happened to look at that channel and realized the season apparently started back up and the season finale was a couple weeks ago and I have apparently missed the last handful of episodes.

The series is still in the list.
    I looked back through history and it didn't list this series on the day it was supposed to record.
    The DVR is not fully utilized on that time and day.

So what could could cause this?

2. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    It's a known problem with Rookie Blue and other series from Canada or the UK. The "first shown" date in the guide data is set to the date the program was first shown in Canada and so "first run" won't record it because it looks like a repeat.. You have to set the series link to record "all episodes".
    This is the fault of the channel (ABC in the case of Rookie Blue).

3. Todd2

Todd2 Cool Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Ok. Thank you. I guess I need to read the forum more frequently!

Any other series that you can think of that have the same issue? Or a link to where it may be detailed? I searched prior to posting this thread for 'rookie blue' and it returned no results.

4. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    It is not ABC's fault. It is the guide providers using Canada info for first shown in the USA.

TiVOs do not have this issue for example.

Complain to DirecTV.

It is similar to the bug from 2 weeks ago when the PGA ran over until 9pm and CBS bumped Unforgettable and Reckless) even though the DirecTV unit recorded what it thought was them that night.

Then last Sunday, when the first run programs were on, even though the Guide Info said "first aired 8/17/2014" the DirecTV units did not record them because it thought the programs had already been recorded and deleted.

Again, a DirecTV issue. Not an ABC or CBS issue.

5. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Wait until the NFL season starts...if you don't pad CBS recordings in particular (and by a LARGE amount), you will miss all sorts of stuff.

While the Guide-Centric approach of D* can be convenient, it produces all sorts of unintended consequences that have to be "worked around". Unfortunately, most of us have had to find these things out the hard way.

6. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    The guide provider gets the info from the channel. That makes it an ABC problem. And DirecTV does not touch the info at all. If the DVR records what it thinks is the program, then it won't record it again because it is a duplicate, that's how the DVR works.
    And as hasan posted, just wait until football season. Because the guide does not get updated "in real time" (which is by the way very difficult) you will miss big pieces of programs following football games because they overrun.

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yep, I have to pad “60 minutes” by at least 3 hours during NFL

8. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Yeah, the CBS football thing is not Directv - during football season, with Dish, we always had to set The Amazing Race and the Mentalist to record 90 minutes long, and even then we recorded the shows after them 90 minutes long also, just to make sure. PIA but at least once you know to do it there are ways to ensure you get all of your show recorded.

9. GLJones

GLJones AllStar

Feb 12, 2008
    It would be nice if the networks could broadcast a coded schedule change signal in their broadcasts that DVRs would understand. When a live event overruns, the network would notify devices in real-time inside the broadcast telling them to override the guide data and capture the program correctly.

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    It would!
    One reason they don't is it will create havoc in some situations, and you know who'd get the phone calls on that.....

11. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Actually, this is not a flaw in the system; the system is working fine, and as it should.

It is a flaw in managing the system. When there is a runover, there needs to be a timely update to the program guide for the system to remain accurate. But sadly, late updates rarely if ever happen.

Honestly, DTV should hire a team of 4 or 5 folks who are on the alert for late changes 24/7/365, and can roll with the punches by updating the program guide before the DVR records something other than what it thinks it is recording. These folks could do other work for them in their down time.

The "first-run" bug is also something that could be monitored and corrected by this team. But even though they have something like 26 million subs in the US and another 18 million in latin american countries, they won't spend the 150k it might take to make that happen, which works out to about a third of a penny per subscription, per year.

12. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    VOD will solve a lot of these problems.