1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SERIES LINK ALERT: Heroes on 04/30/2007 runs 1:03, not 1:02

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Drew2k, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Check your guide tonight to see if a late change from NBC has been sent to update your Heroes end-time tonight, or add an extra minute to pad it.

From TCF:

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    And that was from TivoJerry. Basically this will effect all DVRs and I doubt the guide data will get updated in time. I should be ok with a 5 minute pad I always put on Heroes now.

Good posting as I forgot to visit the Tivo season pass alert forum today.

3. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    my heroes recording went without a hitch...though I do 'pad' it after been screwed before.

However, I did notice that my guide was showing heroes from 9:01-10:03 like normal, but also from 10:01-10:45ish...

But, that only showed up on NBCHD, which i get OTA (but obviously with guide data). the normal local NBC channel displayed everything correctly..., oh well.

GREAT EPISODE btw.

4. May 1, 2007 #4 of 27
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I lost the last minute. That will teach me to work nights.

5. May 1, 2007 #5 of 27
    BrettStah

BrettStah Legend

Feb 7, 2003
    My HR20 got the entire episode (might have missed the "next week on.." stuff though), and I don't think I have padding on it (yet, but I plan to just in case).

6. May 1, 2007 #6 of 27
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Brett... It is possible the 0x146 contains the scheduling fix... it was not a "total" cloan of 0x145 there are a few pieces different.

7. May 1, 2007 #7 of 27
    BrettStah

BrettStah Legend

Feb 7, 2003
    That makes sense... between this and my old Series1 DirecTivo getting Stargate Atlantis the other night, I just figured my DVRs were just a little bit smarter than everyone else's. :D

8. May 1, 2007 #8 of 27
    bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    The extra minute was just a preview of the final 3 episodes so even if you didn't extend by a minute you shouldn't have missed the show.

But then, haven't I been telling people to pad Heroes by at least a couple minutes for a while now? ;) Since it always runs over by a couple minutes into the next hour anyway, no reason not too, it won't create any extra conflicts.

9. May 1, 2007 #9 of 27
    armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Trouble is, it conflicts with 10pm recordings. Has there been any explanation why they can't play by the rules like everyone else?

10. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Because they don't have to...

There is no law, regulation, or anything that dictates the start/end times of any shows.

They do it specifically to keep people on their network, for the next show.
    Yes, it screws up DVRs...but the primary reason is to keep you from changing the channel when the others networks program is starting.

11. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I truly hope this is not a growing trend. It would be a cruel revenge to the dvr owners of the world. I may have to finally start using the second HR to record Heroes only.

12. rcoleman111

rcoleman111 Guest

ABC and NBC have been doing it for several years. It allows them to shift a minute or two of advertising from a lower-rated show to a higher-rated show. It causes a problem if you have 2 shows scheduled for the start of the next hour. That's one of the reasons I'm considering an OTA antenna.

13. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Honestly...

It has gotten progressively worse since 2000
    It started as simple ones like "SuperSized night"...

Now it is almost a common occurance...

It is better, since they are at least "stating" it in the guide data...
    But a lot of networks are not even doing that at this point.

14. BrettStah

BrettStah Legend

Feb 7, 2003
    The main problem that I have is that they (the networks) will usually have something like "8:00pm - 9:02pm" in the guide data, yet they will still sometimes go over the allotted time! If you're going to go to the trouble of being precise in your guide data times, for the love of all that is holy, make sure it's accurate!

15. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I guess until you own a DVR you really wouldn't notice that much. It sure seems pretty specific to that section of society. But, then I don't really have many national affiliate shows I watch. I suppose the average user would get a bit irritated losing the beginning of another show because they were not watching the clock.

16. MichaelP

MichaelP Godfather

Dec 5, 2006
    Dangit! I didn't see this post until this morning. My recording of Heroes is about a minute short. Thanks goodness NBC puts the eps on their web site so I can catch the last few seconds.

17. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I just saw this now. Hopefully one of my DVR's will have the whole thing, or its SciFi on Friday...

18. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Oh I understand. My point being with Heroes is that every week it's scheduled in the guide to go to 10:01 or 10:02. Thus adding any padding isn't going to effect anything since you are already into the next half hour slot. It won't create any extra conflict then you'd already have due to the extended episode.

And all the networks do it and have been for a better part of a decade. Fox sitcoms? First half hour always bleeds at least a minute into the second half hour. American Idol always goes a minute into the next hour.
    NBC made this famous with Friends going over a minute, then 5, then 10 minutes. CBS tends to not do this so much but they have on occasion.

Again, get to know your programs and which ones you need to pad or not.

19. DaHound

DaHound Legend

Nov 20, 2006
    Had to do the same thing. I ran to the computer and pulled it up.

20. MichaelP

MichaelP Godfather

Dec 5, 2006
    Isn't that special? NBC's site isn't serving the correct episode. I guess I'll just hope I can get the entire thing off Sci-Fi Friday night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.