1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

series link not working, only picks up a few shows

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by newsposter, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    Our 1st week with this machine.

She tried to set up SL for her soap opera. Admittedly maybe she didnt do it correctly. So when i got home i checked. Was set for first run, all eps. But only this weeks shows are recording. I adjusted the SL for both 1st run and repeats and nothing, wouldnt record next weeks shows at all.

What am i doing wrong?

2. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    It could be bad guide data or maybe repeat shows. If you want to make sure you get them all, you can select BOTH when setting up your SL. Otherwise your only other choice would be a manual reoccurring setup.

3. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    I did adjust it to both, shouldnt it have changed to all the shows right then and there. Or is this the dreaded difference between tivo and hr20 I've heard about?

4. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    It might have only been that the task to determine what to record runs in the background. Give it a day and check back. If it still has not picked up next week's episodes, a manual recording is probably your best bet. (If the program provider doesn't make the descriptions specific enough, the HR20 thinks it is a duplicate and doesn't record it.)

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Right, unlike TiVos which hold you hostage while the completely resort the lists, HR20s do it in the background. They will tend to get the next 6 hours very quickly and populate everything else within 1-2 days.

6. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    does setting to repeat mean include duplicates? soaps are sometimes generic but the tivo never had issues picking them up. Is the same guide data pumped to both machines?

7. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    We are finding out via the data in the History that a missed show often happens when the guide says that show "X" will be at a certain time. When the HR20 tries to record show "X" it is actually show "Y". the "X" and "Y" in this instance are the internal identifiers that are in the guide data to uniquely code a show (not just the human readable name and description).

For example: The guide says that Chuck episode on Monday at 8 pm ET on my NBC affiliate is has an internal id of: "14b5d" (not the real one I made this number up) . Come Monday at 8 pm the HR20 sees an internal id of "14b63". The HR20 then cancels the recording because it was expecting "14b5d" and got "14b63" It is important to note that internal ID is not something that DirecTV assigns. It is coming from the NBC affiliate.

The question arises is did the guide data update to that new ID and the HR20 not change it or are there other data the DVR should look at to potentially override the issue.

8. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    It does try to eliminate recording of duplicate episodes, whether you have it set to first run or both. If the content provider isn't providing good data, you may have problems. People have reported it not recording all the episodes of some shows. There have also been reports of some shows with generic descriptions recording multiple copies of the same show each day.

As jwd45244 said, the data that the HR20 uses is not the same information that we see. The Tivo definitely displays more info to the user. It does appear that the Tivo has more/different guide data, and sometimes makes better decisions. However, there have been reports of the HR20 making better decisions on some shows that Tivo was not correctly recording.

Keep an eye on the show, and set up a manual recording if it is not catching all the episodes.

9. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    thankfully the show only runs 1 time ever so there cant be multiple recordings. No such thing as a repeat on a soap unless you count the reruns on SOAP lol.

So are manual recordings having a good history of 100% reliability? though once my other 110 issue is fixed, and i'm sure i'm keeping this exact unit, it sounds like it will be more work to keep SL's on this box correct

10. brianr4666

brianr4666 Mentor

Aug 19, 2006
    My wife records soap operas as well and unfortunately the HR20 hasn't missed one. :) With most of the soap operas the networks do not load the descriptions until late in the week. Once these descriptions load the HR20 starts populating them in the to do list. She has her SL set to first run, no duplicates, do not delete.

11. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I don't think you're doing anything wrong. My wife has 2 soaps recording first runs every day; however, only the current week's show up in the prioritzer. By the weekend, you'll see next weeks shows in the prioritizer and they will record as well. My HR20/21 have never missed a soap recording.

12. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    well how in the world do you manage conflicts a week out then? sounds like you wont 'know' that you have 2 things going during the day, say next tuesday, and it will allow me to make a new recording then what, it will just delete my 3rd recording when the data kicks in?

that cant be right

13. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    something appears to have kicked in and its recording thru the 30th. 3 R things mean SL right?

14. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Yes sir.

15. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    Ok but my other question still stands. Assume I already had a long standing thing recording at the same time as her soap.

Then if i added another recording for the same time, would it have let me record the 3rd thing and leave her out in the cold with no soap? Or would it have kicked in like it did and override the 3rd thing i went to record?

16. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    The prioritizer is just for this purpose. You put her Soap at a level you deem necessary to make sure the recording happens.
    If you put her Soap as #1 on priority, and you schedule, say, a movie during that time slot but further out than the populated guide data for the Soap, the Soap will record every time, and the HR20 will look for an another upcoming showing of that movie and record it then.

17. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    so are you saying at the 'instant' i press the 3rd program it would show up OK. But when the data kicked in, and the higher passes took over, the 3rd program wouldnt record?

18. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    That showing of the 3rd program won't record, but the HR20 will look for an alternate showing and add that to the to do list.

19. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Yes. Items in your Prioritizer will take precedence, as long as there's Guide Data there for it. So if your Soap guide data comes in later than normal, that's still OK. The only thing you wouldn't see that "instant" would be a conflict, because the data for that Soap hasn't populated yet.

20. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    well not 'instantly' seeing the conflict is a pretty serious flaw. (at least for the time period at which it takes the SL to 'catch up, which could be a lot depending on how/when you add SLs and as my wife watches tons of tv, this could be a potential icky flaw for her)

Ok tivo may have taken 2 minutes to figure stuff out. But I cannot, on an ongoing basis, remember to look the day after i've manually recorded a program to see if there were other things that kicked it out. It almost seems like to be safe, you should only add things after your SLs have calmed down a day or so.

CAn I assume just such a 'kicked out' program would show up in the history ...in theory being the only way to positively remember the show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.