1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Series Link Problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by chuck1996, Jul 27, 2010.

1. chuck1996

chuck1996 Mentor

Jun 28, 2007
    Recently, I've been noticing some conflict problems with Series Link recordings. As an example, I have Covert Affairs on my Series Link, but at a lower priority than 2 other shows that are scheduled for the same 10pm showing. usually, no problem, since the same episode runs at 1am the next day. However, the ToDo list just shows that Covert Affairs at 10pm will not be recorded, and it has not set up to record the 1am showing. I can go in and manually choose the 1am recording and it will record fine, so there obviously is no other conflict.
    I'm finding that I need to keep checking the ToDo list to make sure it catches later showings of other "conflict" shows, rather than trusting the DVR to just grab the next available showing. I'm currently at 42 Series Links, but I've been at 48 or 49 before and never noticed this happening, in case it is a situation of the prioritizer being "overloaded" with too many Series Links.

Chuck

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Out of curiosity, have you ever let one go to see if it records anyway? There's a "late" process that comes in and schedules things that sometimes doesn't update the to do list.

3. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I've seen that "late" process come in and save the day. But I know how hard it is to have faith it'll happen. It'd be nice if we always got confirmation in the to-do list.

4. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Yes, I agree that this SL business is a black art. I have found that often the conflicted and repeated show will record at a later time even if it doesn't show in the To Do list. But I agree that if the show is important that you would feel better if you could see visual confirmation of that. That's probably one reason a great majority of us have so many DVR's with MRV. It doesn't help that Guide Data is frequently off.

5. chuck1996

chuck1996 Mentor

Jun 28, 2007
    Yes, I've "tested" this before, and it didn't catch the later showing. I've also had a situation where I manually set up the later showing of a show, and saw that it later disappeared from the ToDo list! Went back in and set it up again on the day before and it recorded OK then.