1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Series record fails

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ronandi, Aug 23, 2013.

1. ronandi

ronandi Cool Member

Nov 1, 2007
    HR24-100
    I have about 30 titles in my series record list that work perfectly. However I have tried to record first runs of the ABC show "Motive" at least three times with no success. I double click on the show and then go to series options to select first run only. It has failed to record the next episode repeatedly even though the shows are all new. My only assumption is that the guide isn't being populated from whoever that these are new shows. Does anyone else experience this condition or have any tips?

2. gpg

gpg DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    Motive is a Canadian show that is also broadcast on ABC. The first-run series link doesn't work because the original Canadian air date appears in the guide data. Change your series to "both" from "first run" to solve your problem.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Its First Run date in the DirecTV is wrong for the US broadcast. The date listed is Canadian, but the HRs don't know that.

There are many shows with this issue. And the number seems to be increasing every year.

The communication method of informing DVRs of when to record needs to be brought into the 21st century technology.

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    The technology isn't horrible, but sometimes the input (tagging with dates, first run, type, cast and misc.) is garbage.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    NBC does it right with Crossing Lines, too bad everyone else can't.

6. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    The weird thing is when I first set Motive up, it did work correctly. Then after the 2nd or 3rd episode, it stopped working until I changed it to "both".

7. booboo

booboo New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    The same problem popped up for me on syfy with primeval new world and continuum. Being Canadian shows it seems they don't work with the first run option on our DVR. I have a Genie with 2 clients.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

8. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    I had the exact same problem with this show on verizon fios using tivo ,so i guess its not just a verizon fios problem,anyway i called tivo and they said theu would contact tribune guide service to fix the problem,hopefully this will help them correct the problem for all the carriers .You guys already have a fix though by setting your dvr to record both new and repeats !!

9. ronandi

ronandi Cool Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Thanks everyone. I had no idea this was even a Canadian show and how the guide data differed. Easy enough to record old and new on this one.

10. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    why can't they just get the correct date for the US showing? today i setup a series pass for The White Queen and i had to use both because its British television

11. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    They can, but don't. Write Tribune Media Services. It's not DIRECTV's doing.

12. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    never blame DirecTV, I know it tribute job!

13. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Huh?

14. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    This is a situation I see on Continuum also. It also explains why there is difficulty with The This Old House Hour in my market, which does not take the original Thursday night feed, but delays it until the following Saturday.

Drucifer is exactly right. +1.