1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series recording not recording new shows only. HELP!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by headshotwi, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 6, 2007 #1 of 16
    headshotwi

headshotwi Mentor

Oct 26, 2007
    I am a new customer and still getting acquainted with the HR20.

I select a show I want to record. I go in to LIST and edit the record option to record first run only, unlimited amounts of episodes, and start 1 minute before and end 1 minute after.

This is not working. It seems to be recording every single episode no mater what time it is on on that channel wether or not it is a rerun or not. How do I get it to record only new episodes?

2. Nov 6, 2007 #2 of 16
    Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    1. whatever show you setup the series link on will record no matter if it matches the record criteria you configure.
    2. I know at least one show (Law and Order: CI) that has nearly all the shows in the guide mistakenly marked as new). It also appears that Burn Notice and Dead Zone are suffering from this too.

3. Nov 6, 2007 #3 of 16
    headshotwi

headshotwi Mentor

Oct 26, 2007
    so does this feature just not work then? I have 7 different shows all configured to record first run only and they all record every single show....

4. Nov 6, 2007 #4 of 16
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    it depends on how it is tagged in the guide.... which has nothing to do with directv or the HR20...

5. Nov 6, 2007 #5 of 16
    jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    This feature works fine. What shows, channels, times? Are we talking about prime time network shows?

6. Nov 6, 2007 #6 of 16
    sean10780

sean10780 Godfather

Oct 16, 2007
    From what I have read in the past, you should set all your series up to record both, so you don't ever miss a new show, and then go back and manually delete the repeats.

7. Nov 6, 2007 #7 of 16
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    The HR series are Guide-Centric. If the Guide info is wrong, the recordings will suffer from the error. There are times when the text in the Guide is right, but the data in the stream is not, and the sat receiver goes by the data stream, not the Guide text.

Largely, I find the feature works (record new only), but there are exceptions.

8. Nov 6, 2007 #8 of 16
    headshotwi

headshotwi Mentor

Oct 26, 2007
    This is what I record:

Weeds
    Heroes
    Lost
    Bionic Woman
    Stargate Atlantis
    America's Next Top Model
    Daily Show
    Smallville
    The Office

With my TWC DVR it properly flagged all of this stuff as new episodes. I've never had issues but since I got DTV my HR20 is just recording every instance of these shows instead of new only. Is the guide data really that bad or do I have some other thing going on?

9. Nov 6, 2007 #9 of 16
    headshotwi

headshotwi Mentor

Oct 26, 2007

This doesn't work because shows like the daily show are on ALL the time. I don't want it to record the same show 4 times over the course of 2 days...

10. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I'm sorry, I must have missed where I had a choice of which guide data provider to use. DirecTV contracts for guide data from a 3rd party and sends it down using their facilities and bandwidth, so it definitely has something to do with DirecTV.

11. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    They don't know and can't correct errors in the guide. If the guide is wrong, then there will be issues.

12. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006

In all of these cases, the guide data comes from the provider and if it is wrong it will cause the HR20 to screw up. The new National Release is better if you don't have version 1B4, wait a few days to see if you get it. Then see if missed recordings work better.

They are trying to improve things.

13. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    My first suggestion here would be a call to Tribune media. Garbage in - garbage out.

14. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    I have many of these same shows on my list as well.

Weeds, Heroes, Bionic Woman, Smallville (via HDNet not CW) and The Office are all finding new shows only for me. I am not having a problem with those.

I do not have timers set for Stargate Atlantis, or Top Model. I don't watch those.

LOST will not have new shows for another 3 months. I'll set up the timer then. I am curious though, how did you set up a timer for a show that is not currently on? Did you do a KEYWORD search for LOST? Are reruns being shown somewhere?

As far as the Daily Show - and Colbert for that matter - Comedy Central is NOT very good about about listing NEW versus RERUN. I've had issues with those shows with every DVR I've ever owned - my DISH Net DVR and my DirecTiVo as well. The only solution I've found for NOT getting 5 reruns of those shows every day, is to set a MANUAL timer to go off every Mon-Fri night from 11:00 - 11:30, then 11:30 to midnight.

You didn't specify which HR20 you're using, just to be clear I am using an HR20-100.

15. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I get that same problem with some of the sports shows that show multiple times. What you need to do is set up a repeating manual recording so the DVR will record the time period your show is in. Go to the to do list and the menu on the left side and hit "manual". No more multiple recordings.

16. dbhsatx

dbhsatx Guest

Jun 18, 2007
    From your list I record on an HR20-100;

Heroes
    Bionic Woman
    Stargate Atlantis
    Smallville (CW)

All are set to first run only and all record fine. As someone else stated the HR20 will record the show you use to setup your series link even if it is not a first run. after that it should catch first runs only with a few exceptions. I did get the rerun of Bionic Woman recorded this past Saturday. I chalked that up to bad guide data.

You said that you are a new customer, it may be that your guide data has not completely downloaded yet. it can take up to 48 hours.

If I were in your situation I would wait a week or two. If the problem still persists I would elevate to Directv.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.