1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seriously....How much longer?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Scorch, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scorch

Scorch AllStar

Aug 4, 2006
    Is Directv going to force me to use 2 dishes for my 4 DVR's? I have needed 2 dishes for 4 years because they have refused to put in a multi-switch. So a year ago when I got the new 5 LNB dish with my HR20 I thought they would then, instead I was told NO, and would still need my 2 dish system.

I have my 2 D15's on a duel LNB dish in my backyard and my HR10 and HR20 on the 5 lnb dish on the roof.

After 5 years my wife has had enough and told me to remove the dish and she doesn't care if we lose TV upstairs. She also said after 5 years it's obvious Directv doesn't care and wants me to cancel our service with them.

Now I have called and asked about this many times.....all I get is, sorry the only way to run your setup is with 2 dishes.........

IS this true? Cause I don't need a second dish for my locals.....

ARGH......................:nono2:

2. ajtmcse

ajtmcse AllStar

Jul 22, 2007
    Sounds like they're pulling your chain.

If they won't do it for you, and you have 4 DVR's that need dual inputs each, go out and buy yourself a Zinwell WB68 - $44 + shipping:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=WB68

Run the four lines from the dish on the roof to the WB68 (after the grounding block), and then run the 8 outputs from the WB68 to your DVR's.

Then call customer retention and demand credits for the purchase.

Good luck

3. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Can you elaborate on the setup?

What sat(s) is the dish in the back yard pointed at? Are either of the dishes partially blocked so that they can not see all the possible sats they shgoul? How many cable runs do you have from each dish, and if less than 4 are more possible? What programming do you subscribe to?

I would think everything could run off the 5lnb but it's certainly possible i am missing some piece of info.

4. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    You can get them on Ebay for half that (shipped).

5. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Do you mean R15? .. I don't remember a D15.

6. Scorch

Scorch AllStar

Aug 4, 2006

The dish in the backyard is pointing at 101 and the 5 lnb dish gets all the sats and I have the Choice DVR package with HD. The dish in the backyard goes to a 2x4 multiswitch that feeds the two R15 dual turners upstairs (all for outputs used) and the 5 lnb dish serves dual turners of the H10 and H20 (all outputs used there also)

I'm not even counting the 5th receiver in the family room that hasn't been hooked up for a year because I have no more outputs

So if you look at it I need a 4X8 minimum multiswitch.

7. Scorch

Scorch AllStar

Aug 4, 2006
    Yes - lol........

8. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yup .. you need a Zinwell WB68 to connect all of them up. Are the cables centrally wired or are they all over the place?

9. Scorch

Scorch AllStar

Aug 4, 2006
    Pretty much centrally wired....don't see a problem doing this............just upset that they couldn't help me with this. Instead they make me go buy stuff to make it work - lol

10. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    jokers .. :lol:

It sounds like the Zinwell will do the trick, just get all the wiring from the receivers over to your new MS and then the 4 wires from the 5-LNB dish down to the MS and you should be good to go. I realize that it's not gonna be free, but think of it as freeing your family from the dish in the back yard :).

Good luck.

11. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    Don't blame you one bit for being upset...it's beyond me why a wb68 ms wasn't connected last year with your hr20/ka/ku dish upgrade...either incompetent installer or lazy one, or a combo thereof.. also not sure why a csr would not also ? this if you called in about this..at the time (last year that is)...I would have definately called the hsp on the spot and made them get this resolved. Sorry you are going through this mess.

12. Scorch

Scorch AllStar

Aug 4, 2006
    I had a appointment setup after I got the H20 and 5lnb dish to get a multiswitch that would work, installed for me, but the installer never shower up, not once, but twice and then was told this by a CSR "I'm sorry I guess we can't help you". After this I had to put up the dual lnb dish in the backyard, the one they just replaced the 5lnb dish with, so I could have tv upstairs again. If you can read my bad writing then you will see the installers also left me with 2 recievers that had no signals to them when he left - lol.

Have never gotten a installer back since........I also gave up after 2 months too - lol

13. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    Is the 2 dish setup due to LOS issues?

14. Scorch

Scorch AllStar

Aug 4, 2006
    Nope :)

No line of sight problems on either dish....

15. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    Go straight to retention (select the cancel option of the phone tree) and tell them that, if you can't get the multiswitch installed so that you can get rid of the 2nd dish in the yard, you want to cancel your service. I bet that they will set you up with a service call to install the switch. Also, explain that the local install company is not very reliable and that you want to be sure that the WB68 multiswitch is listed on the work order.

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I would go one step further, if you want that other unit hooked up. Tell them you can't even get all your boxes activated rght now because of this situation, and demand a wb618 which has 16 outputs, but only if you want to activate that 5th box.... And that You are thinking of getting an HD set upstairs as well, and can't get hd programing of that dish if they don't fix the problem as well.

17. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    Even better! :D

18. ray652

ray652 AllStar

Apr 6, 2006
    Guys, I also had a wife who complained about too many antennas on the roof.
    I solved the probem by getting rid of the wife!!!

I guess we all solve our problems in different ways!!! :uglyhamme

19. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    Yeah, but that is usually a much more expensive solution. :lol:

20. ray652

ray652 AllStar

Apr 6, 2006
    ah, yes perhaps so but it was ever so satisfying!!!
    It was just what I needed to light the fuse.
    and not one of my grlfriends would ever say anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.