Had a service with a customer was complaining of pixelization. I get there and AMC channel 254 has severe pixelization along with a bunch of other channels. I walk outside and notice the ground block has those blue click on connectors and none of the connectors were compressed. I put in a new quad ground block, new connectors, and add a ground. I then repeak the dish and it fails the 119 odd on my AIM meter so I replace the Ka/Ku LNB. Repeak and walk back inside. Still has severe problems with pixelization. I run a cold drop from the LNB straight through the front door and into the basement and still pixelizing. So from the cable going into the D12 to the LNB everything is brand new from my truck. I swap out the D12 and it’s still happening on the new receiver. I took out my cube and check the sockets and the all pass. So now I’ve basically rebuilt a 1 box Ka/Ku install and it’s still pixelizing. I swap the system over to SWM and it’s still happening. I finally at this point have called my team lead about 5x and am completely stumped. We tried cutting the ground and swapping the power cable to another socket. Nothing and it’s the same problem on all three receivers throughout the house on an install that is 2.5 years old. It just started happening a few months ago. Team Lead finally suggests putting in a new pole mount. I end up moving the pole 7 feet over and just pole pounding it into the ground without concrete and put the existing dish on the new pole. It works perfectly. I’ve got to go back tomorrow and put the pole into the ground with concrete but, seriously what in the hell kind of demon service call and what could the pole have hit to cause problems with every receiver in the house. The install is 2.5 years old and they just started having problems a few months ago. What could I have done to figure out the pole was causing problems. I tried using a voltmeter and it's not showing any problems, but I'm not the best with a voltmeter.