1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Service Plan Scam

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by LR308er, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LR308er

LR308er Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Jun 27, 2007
    I had trouble with my dish (bolts left loose) and with my receiver (HR20 replaced) last month.
    When I called in about the loose bolts, I was told that I'd be billed for a service call because I didn't have the Protection Plan.

I argued that it wasn't me who left the mast clamp bolts loose, so I wasn't about to pay for someone to come out and fix the problem.
    After several rounds, they gave in a waived the fees.

A couple of weeks later my HR20 crapped out and it had to be replaced.
    I resisted, but utlimately agreed to pay the $20 shipping fee for DirecTV to replace THEIR defective equipment.

Thought that was the last of it until today.
    Today, I got a notice in the mail thanking me for signing up for the protection plan.
    I never signed up for a protection plan!!

I had to call D* and tell them to cancel the plan.

I refuse to pay for insurance on equipment that I'm leasing from DirecTV.
    If I spill a beer on a receiver or if my tree falls on the dish, I'll gladly pay for the damages, but I AM NOT going to pay for their many problems and shortcomings.

Point of this post is to simply warn others about the service plan scam they're running.

Every time I think I'm finally settled with D*, something new comes along a gets me steamed all over again :mad:

2. davidrumm

davidrumm Legend

Dec 2, 2005
    You do realize the lease only covers the receiver. It does not cover the dish, cables, etc. That is what the Protection Plan covers. Also if you have the plan it will cover all shipping and handling fees.

3. wilmot3

wilmot3 Legend

Jul 24, 2007
    If the lease covers the receiver then why would he have to pay the shipping and handling then?

4. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    Calling it a scam is taking it too far, but they do seem to want the best of both worlds(in their own eyes) between leasing and owning.

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    If you lease a car and something goes wrong on it outside the warranty period you have to pay to get it fixed, so using your logic since it's not your car you shouldn't have to pay to get it fixed.

6. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    LR308er,

Your actions seem reasonable in this situation, but it is unlikely that there was any scam involved. Fortunately, you did what a smart consumer should do and examine the bill. As noted earlier, a leased receiver does not mean that the other parts are covered. Glad to hear that you were able to get everything resolved to your satisfaction.

7. ducker

ducker Mentor

Aug 15, 2007

That sounds like a horrible lease... If it's normal wear and tear, yes, you have to fix/replace it. But when something fails on said vehicle... they replace/fix it.

As an example I had an Accura Integra. The CD player in the radio failed after about 2 years, they replaced it.

Why anyone would lease a vehicle that isn't under warranty is insane.

Now, if I needed to have break work done, yes, that's on my dime.

Suffice to say, units shouldn't be failing frequently.

8. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I've only leased one car and it came with the standard 3yr/36,000 mile warranty (it was a few year ago) if something happend after that, like the radio failed then yep I would have to pay to get it fixed.

9. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    You dont gain equity in a car

10. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Alright guys, now we're just getting off topic ..

11. LR308er

Jun 27, 2007
    Jeff, I called it a scam because they signed me up for it without my consent.
    That's about as wrong as it gets.

My best guess is that the operator who told me that they were waiving the fees found out that she got in trouble for doing so and decided to cover it by saying that I agreed to sign up for the service plan.
    I adamantly refused the service plan on the grounds that I should not have to pay for insurance to keep their equipment running.

I'm very much aware of what the plan covers.

The issue was that the installers had left the mast clamp bolts loose. Not just lightly snugged, but completely loose.
    The dish had spun around out of alignment.
    I re-aligned it with the on-screen meters, but i wanted them to put the meter on it and make sure it was right.

I refuse to pay for something that they did wrong.
    Doing so merely rewards imcopetence and increases the likelihood of repeat occurences.

12. ducker

ducker Mentor

Aug 15, 2007
    it's true you don't... but the value of a lease vehicle can be decent, so long as the value of the vehicle is worth more then the purchase price - the amount you've paid in to the lease and you plan on purchasing it at the end of the lease period.

But yes, this is WAY off topic :) Sorry, I didn't want to post... heh

13. LR308er

Jun 27, 2007
    Tell you what, if I drive my HR20 up and down the road and leave it out in the weather, I'll gladly pay to have it fized when it stops working.
    Until then, I expect it to perform as advertised or be replaced at no charge.

E* replaced my previous DVR three times over the course of seven years and I never paid them a nickel extra.

14. LR308er

Jun 27, 2007
    Depreciable goods vs equity.

15. LR308er

Jun 27, 2007
    It was resolved to my satisfaction before I got a bill for the service contract.
    When they signed me up for that without my consent, it became a problem.
    I call that a scam and I stand by that statement.

Could you please remove the irrelevant car lease posts?

16. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Regardless of what you choose to call it, I believe that the situation was still resolved to your satisfaction. The two parts you seem to have the most trouble with are the loose bolts and you getting the service plan added to your account. Didn't both of these problems get resolved?

Your particular situation may be the result of a mistake and nothing more than that. Just trying to be fair.

I'll leave the earlier posts intact, but anymore off-topic car lease talk will be removed.

17. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Then go back to E*. D*'s warranty on the HR20 is 90 days, it break outside that time frame either pay the shipping charge for an exchange or pay for rhe service plan, that's how it works.

As for D* signing you up for the protection plan, you're like the 3 or 4 thread where I've seen someone say that this showed up on their bills without requesting that it be added.

18. LR308er

Jun 27, 2007
    Doug,
    So as long as the outcome is OK, you feel nothing wrong was done?

I disagree.

DirecTV signed me up for a service plan and began billing me for it without my consent.

Luckily, I paid attention to something that almost got tossed as junk mail and was able to stop it before it began.

When I contract a company to provide a service at a specific rate, I expect them to honor my trust and to not try to slip anything by me.
    Regardless of whether the intent was mailicous or accidental, I'm not used to having to watch companies like a hawk to make sure they're not adding things to my bill that I have not authorized.

I guess I'm still a little new to the DirecTV business model.

19. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    What you choose to call a scam, I choose to call a mistake. There are a number of things that could have happened. Calling it a scam implies there was intent to malign you. It's not clear that was the case when - in the end - everything was to your satisfaction. I never said it was right. In fact, it could be argued that a mistake is when something wrong was done.

20. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Hey Doug, my congrats on making moderator.

I think everyone who leases equipment from D* should be aware that if they don't have the Protection Plan they will charge you for shipping.

I have always had the PP and have had much better luck with their CSRs and techs. I think it costs about $96 a year and I have had an awful lot of wiring done without cost and replaced a lot of DVRs (TiVos and HR20s) without shipping charges. Shame you have to spend a hundred bucks a year for better service, but there it is. Seems worth it to me. And I don't buy many warranties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.