1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Service Plan

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Link, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Apr 3, 2011 #1 of 18
    Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    What does the $6 service plan cover besides free shipping on receiver replacements and a $15 service tech visit? Also, what is the regular charge for the service tech fee without the service plan? I'm trying to find ways to reduce our bill and we pay $72 a year for a service plan that we haven't used except for a free shipping on a receiver replacement in the past few years.

I'm thinking it might be worth it to just pay the shipping fee or for a service tech to come should the need arise.

2. Apr 3, 2011 #2 of 18
    coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    $95

3. Apr 4, 2011 #3 of 18
    Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    I guess it's that price to keep people paying the extra $6 a month. I will say Dish has done creative methods on raising prices on customers without raising the packages with the receiver fees.

4. Apr 4, 2011 #4 of 18
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The service plan is optional ... I've been a customer since 2003 and have not needed it. I know some people have been happy that they had the service plan (or have added it just before noticing a problem).

DISH charges a cancellation fee ($25) on the service plan if it is not kept for 5 months. $30 plus $15 for a visit/repair = $45 ... which is less than $95 and gives you the opportunity to have more $15 visits/repairs if more problems crop up.

5. Apr 4, 2011 #5 of 18
    inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    That's $95 for a service call and if you are not under the 2yr commitment then the cost is $0 to switch to DirecTv. I've always had a problem with paying a repair fee for a leased item I'm already paying a monthly fee for. At least with a car you have a 3yr 36 month warranty.

6. Apr 4, 2011 #6 of 18
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Cars are more expensive ... especially fleeced ones.

I'd rather pay the $45 for a repair (see above) that I could not perform myself than change providers. If you find a provider that provides "free repairs" you'll likely find that paid for elsewhere on the bill. At least I don't have to pay a higher bill to get "free repairs" that I don't use.

BTW: 1st receiver lease is free, 2nd receiver lease is the same as an owned receiver. How much is one paying "extra" each month for a leased box? $0? The most extra you will pay on a lease is the initial "lease upgrade" fee that is paid once for that upgrade regardless of if you stay a month or eight years afterwords. The monthly fees for leased is the same as for owned.

7. Apr 4, 2011 #7 of 18
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I have been since the mid-90s sometime and have never needed it.

Nor have I had the need to hawk another vendor in nearly every post. :rolleyes:

8. Apr 4, 2011 #8 of 18
    tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    :nono2:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/legal/equipment_lease_addendum

"You are responsible for the loss of, damage to or the entire cost of any necessary service or repair of the leased DIRECTV equipment."

Originally Posted by James Long;
    "DISH charges a cancellation fee ($25) on the service plan if it is not kept for 5 months. $30 plus $15 for a visit/repair = $45 ... which is less than $95 and gives you the opportunity to have more $15 visits/repairs if more problems crop up."
    And is obviously how Dish intends it to be used. They allow you to add it in anticipation of a problem. As long as you pay for continued coverage for five months ($30) then during that time the cost is $15 per visit. To me, not unreasonable.

9. Apr 4, 2011 #9 of 18
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    ^ That's not what he said.

if you are not under the 2yr commitment then the cost is $0 to switch to DirecTv.

He's on a campaign to get people away from Dish at any opportunity he can.

10. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I corrected a misconception he insinuated. It leaves the impression Direct would not charge that. In reality it is what he said.

"the cost is $0 to switch to DirecTv. I've always had a problem with paying a repair fee for a leased item" So, I guess he will not be going to or keeping Direct TV either.

11. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    I just signed up for the $6 service plan after Tech Service said I needed a new remote, which would cost $20. The TS rep said if I signed up for the service plan I would get the remote free. He also said he could give me a $5 credit each month for the next year. So my net cost would be $1/month for the first year. $25 charge if I cancel the service plan in the first 150 days, BTW.

So far the $6 service plan fee is on my account but the $5 credit is not. Watching to see if this gets fixed before my bill is issued on April 14. I got the new remote in 2 days and was not charged for it.

12. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Link if you want to save $6 per month drop the service plan. If you need it call and add it you will need to carry it for 5 months ($30) then you can cancel it again.

13. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    What an ignorant statement. I've been with Dish since 2006 and have over 500 posts here. Just because I don't like every policy Dish promotes, and exercise my right to complain about it doesn't mean I'm on a campaign to get people to switch providers. I am saying that the only way to get Dish to do anything different, like 24/7 HD RSN's, is to let them know that we are aware of our options are not necessarily accept what they feed us as status quo. If you choose to play the role of the good sheep then go for it.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    How about we talk about the service plan and save the personal comments for our families at home?

15. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    Thanks for the info.

16. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

It covers quit a bit for $6. a month plus $15. co-pay I have it and I sleep better having it so I do.;):D

http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/legal/ServicePlan.pdf

17. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    The service plan, like "inside wiring" insurance provided by the telephone company is a highly profitable revenue generating "insurance plan" for the service provider.

Statistically, having a "reserve fund" cushion is a much better strategy than any specific "insurance plan."

The nice thing about spare funds is that you can use it for ANY emergency.
    If you don't have any problems, you keep all your money and earn interest on your investment.

In 12 years, I only had one bad quad lnb on my system. It had heat related problems. Since I had only two receivers, I just switched the connection to another port.

I currently have an Eastern Arc dish with three ports, of which only two are used. If one goes bad, I'll just switch the connection to the unused port.

If the whole lnb is bad, I'll just switch it out for the new one that I paid $22 for delivered that I just got on eBay.

Fortunately, I have years of expierence in the TV and satellite industry. I had my system upgraded to HD, three weeks, ago. The tech did an O.K. job within specs. However, switching the Dish500 which was on 110 and 119, while using the same pole, 61.5 and 72.7 would tree out in the early Summer.

So, I relocated the dish on a new ground pole. My "open work" wiring system allowed me to easily reconfigure all on my "in wall" wiring. I wanted a weatherproof box and a #8 solid copper ground wire back to the untilty entrance. So, I did that. too.

I have friends and neighbors, as well as family, who depend on me to "tweak" their installs. they NEVER had wiring ot "tree" problems. Some of these installs are over 10 years old. Their dishes are always locked with strategicaly placed sef drilling "lock" screws.

Fortunately none has had lnb or switch issues. One had a 11 years continuously used 501 DVR replaced. It was ent to her and she just connected it and plugged it in. Because she was a 10 years subscriber, and this was her first issue, they sent it to her FREE and waived ALL of the fees.

I installed my Dad's system 11 years, ago. When they got it the kept the $1.99 service plan and dropped it, when it went to $6 a month. He has NEVER had an issue.

So, I'd just save my money.

18. russ9

russ9 Godfather

Jan 28, 2004
    Tried to save money, but somehow the Dish 'puter didn't register me cancelling the service plan. Try, and try again....