1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Set-up for DirecTV receiver with Charter Modem, Linksys router, and internet phone

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Meeshamd, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Meeshamd

Meeshamd New Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Hubertus, WI
    This is such a puzzle to me. How do I connect everything? My DirecTV receiver is plugged into the wall by a coaxial cable and I used a splitter for that outlet to also plug my Charter modem. I have my wireless router and wireless phone all too.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Wow, what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door..

What type of dish do you have. But typically, you would need one (or two) coax cables for DirecTV and another independent cable for your cable modem

Why is not DirecTV and for that matter your cable company not installing this for you?

3. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    This setup will not work.

Where does the cable from charter enter your house, and where does the cable from the satellite dish enter your house? Do they "combine" at any point? Do you have SWM? Like peds asked, why isn't DirecTV and/or Charter setting this up for you?

4. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    To the best of my knowledge this can't be done. Granted it's been five or six years and things change but I explored doing something similar with TWC just to get Internet and it couldn't be done without isolating one cable for the TWC service. Running a separate cable to where I wanted the modem was problematic so I stuck with DSL until just two weeks ago when I upgraded to U-verse Internet.

5. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    It's possible if you have a legacy system (non-SWM) but if you have SWM, you cannot diplex the signals together.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You can't simply pick a random cable and hope that it will work. The cable must be uniquely connected to a DIRECTV antenna (or an associated multiswitch).

You cannot share a cable with your modem or phone service. With the advent of broadband and phone service from cable companies like Charter, there may be considerable overlap in the signals so they can no longer share.